The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "24 Hour Photo" - A Radical Idea?... (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6419)

joseelias 02-06-2004 02:14 PM

"24 Hour Photo" - A Radical Idea?...

Because of the recent feature of not displaying the name or points of a photo in the gallery and some other proposals around this issue, I've structured an idea. I've seen something simillar in another site and it works very well.

Maybe it's a bit radical, and/or difficult to implement but nevetheless I've decided to post it... Here it goes:

What about if the photos would be anonimous (both in the thumbnail as in the full image) for a period of 24 hours, period after wich they would become completly identified to all? This would also apply to the critiques written in that period. They would not be visible for 24 hours. Of course, the artist that posted a photo would see everything concerning his own pictures in real time.

The exception to this rule would be if someone wrote a critique in one of the "24 hour photos". Then, both the artist name and the previous written critiques in that photo could become visible to the critiquer.

The advantages, as stated in previous forums are that the name of the photographer and points received by a photo would not influence the critiquers atittude. They would choose the photos that they like and interest them.

Also, coments as "all as allready been said" or "agree with the above" would reduce as no one would know what was previuosly written. More, people would not avoid to write a critique because he felt it was nothing more to add. Personally I find usefull "repeated" coments as it gives me a more accurate idea if I really failled in a certain part of the photo.

The "24 hour photos" would also only be visible in the artist gallery and in the favorite artists gallery after that period.

If someone see advantages or desavantages in this system you're free to write your opinion. Adam you're invited too... :o)

Josh69 02-06-2004 02:38 PM

Re: "24 Hour Photo" - A Radical Idea?...

Mmmm, I think it could be an idea to not display points for a while (although I think critiques should be on permanent display). Some ordinary looking photos seem to reach a 'critical mass' of points, at which stage they attract even more points. On the other hand some good photos don't seem to get many points at all.

Keitht 02-06-2004 02:56 PM

Hiding points for a period might be a good idea. I am never swayed to critique or not by the author of the picture. I do sometimes though avoid critiquing pictures that already have a large number of points. I assume that by the time I am looking at it everything of use will have been said.

joseelias 02-06-2004 03:05 PM

"I assume that by the time I am looking at it everything of use will have been said."

Well that's the problem... It's usuall in many of my photos that really useful critiques also come at the end of all the others.

Hiding the allready written critiques could reduce the possibility that someone with good ideas, but that do not wish to read the previous 20 critiques, would go back without giving his opinion...

maciekda 02-06-2004 03:15 PM

hm, I do it in a bit different way, when I see a photo I want to comment then I just write my critique, without reading other critiques.
I must admit though, sometimes I read other critiques before writing my own, but mostly to make sure I am right with some issues concerning the problems in the photo...
and I am not sure I'd like to have on TE hidden points and critiques, I think I like it the way it is now. I like seeing what some people post that day, without guessing. there is just too many photos to browse all of them, sometimes I just search for photos of certain peoples, whose photos I like and who are active on TE, I don't like commenting photos of people who don't write critiques and I mostly don't do that. and I don't give points in exchange just to say thanks for points received.
so, I prefer to see whose picture is in the gallery and who is active and how some photos ar epopular or not.
thanks ;-)

mimi 02-06-2004 07:02 PM

I think it could be interesting and at least worth a try. I've turned off the photographer's name and the points in the gallery, and so far, I find that to be a welcome change. Like some others, I tend not to comment on shots where I feel like everyhing has been said already. Jose's idea might be worth experimenting with it for some period of time (assuming that it's not too technically difficult to implement) and see how people like it.

PiotrS 02-06-2004 07:56 PM

Jose,

I wrote about the same ideas a while back.

I like the idea of no author/critiques/points displayed for a specified time. I think that if it were to be implemented, writing a critique should not automatically reveal all, because it may tempt people to write a one word critique just to see the info displayed.

I think that all the info should remain hidden until a certain period of time has expired after posting.

Piotr

joseelias 02-06-2004 08:15 PM

"it may tempt people to write a one word critique just to see the info displayed."

Yes I guess that's true but after writing a word the member would have to write more because you can't erase a written critique.

I feel that if the revealing of the author name and other critiques would not be instant, the surprise effect this system have could be lost. For example you'd need to review your written critiques from the previous day to see that info and that could be boring in my opinion.

The surprise effect is a benefit of this system and should be mantained.

PechePassion 02-06-2004 08:26 PM

My English miss on this type of wire. And I’ll to pronounce me because I board very not understood at100 %

But Josť they is courageous to start again famous debate! To show or not...

With regard to criticisms that I understood, I do not deal with those which precedes me, I deliver MY opinion which is always very personal and sincere with an aim of helping the person if my criticism is negative.

Moreover I it board often made with your photographs Josť against wind and tide! ;-)))))

Finally if somebody who controls English and French could translate the conducting of this post that would be cool!

Because babelfish + babelfish it’s made very bad fish! ;-))))))))))

joseelias 02-06-2004 08:44 PM

Yes Frederic you give no rest about my post-processing work! ;-)))

I also don't read the previous critiques so this feature is not for me also. It's for all that get influeced (in a positive or negative way) by the author of a photo, and the other critiques and number of them.

People when see a lot of critiques in a photo tend not to write because they feel all has been said and many times that's not true!

I guess many people would fell more free to write their opinion because they would't know what was allready written...