Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Dpbours 2009-03-23 2:36

Hi Tina,

Transport is always the bottleneck for projects like these. Best is to look for city-bonds or church-links and hitchhike your stuff in a sea container with stuff from them.
Getting a container full of stuff is one thing, knowing about the import rules of the country is another one. Be careful that you are not taxed on the items, since what you see as a precious gift will be seen by the government as the destruction of their internal market and false competition. And they are right economically. You are dumping excess material on their market.

And if you would count the cost of transport and all the efforts made, quite often it is worth just collecting money and pay a local technical school to build them over there. Money flows back to the local economy, you create work and the desks are 'culturally appropriate', ie. in line with what people are used to over there.

I would ask the company to keep the desks and sponsor you with knowledge and money. Fly over there with one of their designers and have them working together with local craftsmen.

Greetings!
Dennis

Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Dpbours: Thanks for your advice!

Hi Dennis,

Thanks a lot for your advice - and you probably right....that it would be better and easier to have the furniture made by the local people on Java. What a shame....the company I've found would sponsor as many desks and chairs as I wanted. Well, I'll have to see if I can find another sponsor :o)

Hope everything is fine in Holland.

Regards - Tina
Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Dpbours: Thanks for your advice!

Find a transport company as sponsor, that is the best to do... Then you only have the importing and import agency's fees - which will probably still be quite some money...

Good luck!
Dennis