Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Clairedelune 2009-06-16 18:14

Long time no see! :-)
This is doing the same kind of feeling in me that I had the first time. It is like if my blood is turning cold. That wall that looks like prison bars (Ken's idea the first time)...

I had written "Me, an ignorant young (at the time!) Western, blessed by the God(s), woman... what can I write? I was living in a poor family in the 70s, but there was meat on our table. Ok, quite often the same meat, but meat nevertheless! And except in a somewhat black period of our history (the famous October crisis of 1970 in Quebec), the military vehicles and the soldiers were not a presence in the streets of my world. There was no big - giant - huge! - posters of our leaders, except maybe at elections time!
So, the only thing I can say about this photo is that it should go in the archives of the Humanity for being representative of this era, to express with not one word a world where only dogs could sh*t at the feet of the great leaders..."
I think the same even more.
Claire
N.B.: Just bought a used version of "L'archipel du Goulag" de Soljénitsyne (Solzhenitsyn)... In French, it is out of print since a long time... can you imagine?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 PM
TE Expert

Default To Clairedelune: Reading Solzhenitsyn ?

Posters at election time..?

The western world has no idea how huge can be the posters of a LEADER (!!!) at the 'election' time in the communist world.
To simplify the procedures( saving a lot of hassle and troubles for their people) the leader himself was kind enough to decide who is going to be the democratically elected leader for the next five years.

That shows how much he cared about his people ! He would do anything for his people ( well, at least for those who survived).
That's why they loved him so much and many of them - still do !

And, you try to read Solzhenitsyn ?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Banned

Default Re: To Clairedelune: Reading Solzhenitsyn ?

Claire, out of print in French ? it's a scandal !

? sorry for butting in, but it's a strong compulsion when I see your names on the forum thread, I am always sure it's going be interesting :-).

Gosh, I read him when he first came out with his books...still have yellowish pocket versions of Matryona's place, the Cancer Ward and the First circle. His first appearances on TV...

Ze vorld is vull of idiots (not sure about the spelling)...

Hugs to both of you
Michèle
Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Clairedelune: Reading Solzhenitsyn ?

Yes, Michèle. Out of print.
Since he died in August last year, I thought they would republish the book. Nope. It's impossible to buy this book new.

I just started to read it. About fifteen pages read by now. And I am already dumbfounded. I know... there is lighter summer reading. But it's me. Going against the normal way... ;-)

Claire