Desert sand and DSLR - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
TE Newbie

Default Desert sand and DSLR

Hi,

I am planning a biking and hiking that will bring me to the High Atlas and the deserts of Morocco.

I am planning to bring my Canon 40D, but I have been warned against the sand. Can anyone provide advice on the best way to protect the camara against the sand? I also bought a cheap P&Sm, but would rather use my 40D as much as possible.

Thank you
Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Desert sand and DSLR

Hi!

Keep it stored as long as possible, and limit the changing of lenses to a bare minimum. If you're going hiking and biking, I'd suggest a 18-200 - type lens. Canon make one, Sigma or Tamron each have their own flavour of the same. With one of those, you're covered for a variety of needs and that will limit the danger of sand.

Some "zippered" deep-freezing bags big enough to hold the cam and lens mounted can be useful for storage. There may be humidity/condensation problems though, so a small bag of silica gel could help as well!

Hope this helps!
Olivier
Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Desert sand and DSLR

Hi all,

I can only agree with Oliver, use a wide spectrum type lense like 18-200 to avoid changing...

I've been to quite some deserts too with my canon, and I did as Oliver said; wrapped the camera and lens in a large "zippered" deep-freezing bag (zipper on the body side of the camera; cut a hole into the bag just to let the upper end of the lens come out and secured the junction with a strong rubber band). Take plenty of those bags!

I would also consider buying a UV Filter to protect your lens... So if you get sand at the front you scratch your UV filter and not the lens (much cheaper to exchange...) A small camera cleaning set can also be very helpful, especially a small brush to brush sand away from your lens. Always use a brush not a small towel, otherwise you will scratch your UV filter/lens.

Have a nice trip!
Cristina