Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Default News on TE : for isabela!

Hello isbalela,

I was just reading on TE forum "news on TE" that you've have initiated, that it is now 3 years you have been banned to post critics?. Did I understand correctly?
I thought you were posting comments only because you were not interested in point system.
But if it is really true that posting critics is forbidden for you, it is incredible and so severe!. I can't support such decision looking more like dictat than fair attitude. Personnaly 80% of my critics are only comments. As far as I'm not really interested in point system I make no differences between critics and comments.

Learning through photography means you can also learn from all what is linked to picture : the note and comment or critics whatever they are talking about.
It seems That this site is quite more constraining that I ever thought it was!.

Perhaps time to see if "l'herbe ne serait pas plus verte ailleurs!". Et personnellement : chapeau bas isabela pour ta persévérance sur site dans ces conditions
(sorry it's in french and I've no english translation for that)

I wanted to post it on the forum but the thread has been locked!! What a pity.

JMarc
Old 12-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default Re: News on TE : for isabela!

Eh oui Jean Marc , Ailleurs herbe verte et mouches normales ......
Old 12-13-2009, 06:37 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for your words
Enjoy TE as it is :)as I do :)
Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 AM
TE Expert

Isabela

This message if FOR YOU ONLY.

I noticed your critique disability, asked you and you gave me your private answer, about 1.5years or 2 years ago? I cannot remember if I gave you what I opined but for Vivienne and others, here it is again.

You said : it does not matter you lost your critique ability because of a personal remark you made to Adam long years ago. I thought it would be fair to disable for 1 month or 2 weeks as was standard procedure. You said it did not bother you anymore because of your love for the friends here and for photography. You could have left and joined other site, but you were stronger than anyone by staying and remaining here.

And every photo you uploaded and notes you wrote command my respect, yes from me silently. Critiques, you could not give but your comments given are true only from Isabela that I come to appreciate.

I gave up hope on the behavior and attitude of the admin and mods here, they are biased to say the least and never on a sensible behavior. That caused unease and unwanted disbelief and disappointment in many photographers. The takeover by InternetBrands is worst. And the change over to a new format cause irreparable damage. And the ToS about copyright closed the chapter for many including a novice called trekks.

I know, I should not even bother this forum or write here. It is erased from my bookmark but I will never erase the many images, the notes, critiques, comments, support left permanently and very nobly by many of you. It is the force that still drives me on, wherever I am.

Isabela, it does not matter. You command my strongest respect and bow. Because you show a strength of a woman that a man cannot exceed, not Adam nor IB admin. No, you beat them all by your solidarity and perseverance. I am a big fan of you on Facebook now. Not because only of your beauty but because of your talent in photography, because you know how to put your ideas into images and you write beautifully. You are everything a photographer can be. And no, there is no reason to flame and cause irritation to anyone. Not when you want to be a photographer. Not me.

That is why someday I want to have the honor to see this strong photographer, because you will never disappear and I need to learn something good from you. Istanbul no this time, but yes another place, another time! I hope.

Bother not with the conversion of critiques into comments, they can POST-justify anything, but I see nothing in IB or admin or mod.

Merry Xmas and Happy 2010 New Year to all
Greetings from Borneo
trekks
Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
TE Expert

To Isabela

My respects and my admiration for you. I learned a lesson from you that I will never forget. God bless you.
Hugs
Maria
Old 12-14-2009, 07:30 PM
TE Expert

Thank you,dear Bill, thank you dear Maria...You both are great friends,great photographers and active TE members !
For this reason, I really have to ask you do not post here messages for me(not like these ones),even if your intentions are so friendly and good.Soon somehow you will be punished or ...
Already my forum threads have been deleted and your critique has been changed into comments,and I don't want something similar to happen again to someone.

We are here to post our pictures,to learn about photography and world,and... (direct connection) to learn about community/friendship :).I will continue to post my useless comments here for all those great pictures posted by all TE members.

See you around, my dears,
Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: useless comments???

There are no such things as useless comments!!! A well meant comment can be far more useful than a critique given in selfishness.
Regards
John
Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 AM
TE Junior Member

You are so right, John! But you see, TE "runs" on points, like a car runs on gazoline... Let's face it, the point system is the main cause of the amount of traffic this site experiences, and the main reason it became so popular. Points are the main addiction factor for the majority of the TE members. And the more addiction - the more clicks, and the more clicks - the more traffic, and the more traffic - the more income for the site owner. Even more, my humble guess would be that the point system was "invented" for this purpose, back in 2002 when this site was started. Because otherwise, what is the use of points? I think they only distract from the quality of photography and the LATW factor, bringing instead this unproductive and useless "social" game that everyone of us is playing. And I know that everyone, including me, is free to switch off the points for him/herself, but the thing is, if you do it, you won't be able to give points anymore and therefore the number of people that look at your pictures will abruptly drop. Several members have tried to switch off the points, and many of them have eventually turned them back on. The only way to make this site live up to its goals, without any distracting factors, is to remove the point system once and for all, but of course the traffic will decrease sharply after that, therefore the point system will always be in place.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Now, concerning Isabela's story - I really admire her decision to stay at TE after her "critiquing" (read - point giving) ability was taken away. She is one of those members that hold this site together, of those members who are not interested in just playing the points game, but in a true social interaction and enjoying the site as it could have been. Chapeau bas!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
TE Expert

To John: useless , because many members dont check to see the comments received , and they can see someone's comments only if they open the full image...so,somehow they are useless :)
To Alexander: you explained here very well why TE is good or not here, and thanks for your words about me .I am still here :)
Now, keep posting and write your words(critiques or comments)and just enjoy every picture and remember TE's spirit as we know or feel it :)
Old 12-15-2009, 05:04 PM

John I generally agree with the observation that there is no such thing as a useless comment, however I do think that statement requires some qualification specific to this site.
There has always been a distinction here between a critique, which states what you like/dislike about an image along with suggestions for alternative treatment of the subject, and comments such as 'Nice shot'. There is nothing wrong per se with either offering. Where the problem has always come is when people manipulate the points system to their own ends by entering 'Nice shot' or similar as a critique and thereby awarding points to their own little clique.
Many would like to see the points system disappear altogether and I have much sympathy with that. The simple fact is though that we do have a points system and we do have people attempting to manipulate it. Until either or both disappear there is a need for the system to be policed.
Once again I must stress that the comments above are not aimed at any particular person, simply at the system.
Closed Thread