Paid membership? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 PM
TE Expert

Default Paid membership?

From the "Pop-up Ads" thread:

"In the near future we will be offering paid membership which will allow for an ad free experience and the ability to post multiple pictures a day." (by IBsteph)

I'd like to know more details.
I wouldn't feel welcome in a community with two classes of members (paid and not paid). If Internet Brands do that, I can't pay. I don't know now, but perhaps I'll leave or I'll be much less active, even as a 'free', second class member.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Paid membership?

I second that: I certainly wouldn't want two classes in TE. I don't mind adverts, as long as they're decent and unobtrusive. However, I don't want TE to become a lesser equivalent of Flickr - with paid membership! Web 2.0 is, and should always be, free...

biswaroop
Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Banned

That's an unpleasant Christmas gift for sure...

On Facebook where similar thoughts are on the way there is a (very popular) group called "We will not pay to use facebook, if this happens we are gone", something IB should keep in mind, especially considering that now there is a credible alternative.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 AM
TE Expert

By using Firefox with Pub Block no need to pay
Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 AM
TE Expert

more than one post per day?

That will destroy the fundamental idea that makes this site to survive. We don't want another flickr or whatever.

a sad Christmas season news...
Old 12-24-2009, 12:26 PM
TE Expert

Another bad and counterproductive idea concerning TrekEarth. The events concerning TE in the last year for me look like a slow suicide of this site. What will happen next ...?!
I do not like the standard of Flickr and other sites like this at all ... the future of TE?
Really a wonderful Christmas surprise!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:45 PM

I use a number of non-photography related sites which have a paid membership option. The big difference between them and what appears to be the intention here, is that the membership fee provides access to additional content e.g. reviews.
What I have always liked about TE is the limit on images posted. That encourages members to think more carefully about what they do post rather than slinging all kinds of dross on the site. As others have already suggested, I also think it a fundamentally bad idea for this site, maybe they'll rethink if the proposal is more widely debated.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

" we will be offering paid membership which will allow for an ad free experience " damned , i gone just when it was going to be funny !!!! ..... just paying for free ! ....

je sens que je vais louper une grosse marrade !
Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 PM
TE Junior Member

Nothing is set in stone. It's a possibility that we are thinking of doing that's all.
You will all be updated and informed if we do move forward with it . Again,this is something we are considering for DOWN THE ROAD..

Thanks and happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
TE Junior Member

Paid membership..?

Aaaah seems I got it all wrong – imagine, I got the impression IB would pay us for providing the images they make money on…