To trevormoffiet: Thanks Trevor, - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great trevormoffiet 2012-12-09 21:38

HI Kathryn,
This is an excellent shot showing the colours of the winding alley in Morocco and the man in his traditional Jalaba. However, in my opinion there are a few elements in the image that distract from the simplicity of the story that you have given in your note.
Warm regards,
Trevor

Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 AM
TE Newbie

Default To trevormoffiet: Thanks Trevor,

The sign I was not thrilled with but difficult to do much there. Help me out a little in terms of what else I could improve on? You mention a few elements are distracting...can you possibly give a bit more help.
Thanks for looking , enjoy your week
Regards
Kathryn
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
TE Newbie

Smile A Few Elements?

Hi Kathryn,
I only just found your message. I am not sure how this TE message system is supposed to work. It seems as though I have to search for messages.

I know it was a bit tantalising to leave the 'few elements' up in the air but I figured that it would make you think about your image. For me the main distractions (from what you are trying to present as indicated by your note) are the sign, the burnt out bright area at the top and the bit of rubbish on the pavement in the left foreground. The manhole cover could also be a bit of a distraction but it may be argued that it is not. I am not setting myself up as an expert here. There are many aspects of photography that I have not mastered but I know you have. My comments are based on listening to numerous photo judges comments on many hundreds of photos over a couple of years when I was a member of a camera club. Before a judge starts judging they usually provide the caveat that what they say is just their opinion. However, I gathered that in their first pass of images they prefer simple images without extraneous content that does not fit the purpose for the image. They particularly don't like images with writing because one is immediately drawn to read the words. They don't like any burnt out areas at all. With the bit of rubbish in the foreground, one could argue that it is part of the environment and should be left. However, if there is only one piece of rubbish one is left to ponder whether the rest of the street is clean or not. Some of these things can be fixed by cropping (or cloning) but the image might not be as visually balanced if you have to do too much cropping.
I know TE is not about judging photos for competition but I think we are all capable of having opinions even when we are not experts. It is the up to the photographer to weigh all opinions against their own. They are the ultimate judge of and expert on their own image.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Trevor
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Trevor,
I know what you mean about chasing down replies. I think you do need to go and look for them but it would be great if there was some direct messaging system in place where you were notified etc.
I really appreciate your comments and am always looking at improving my images. I knew the sky was blown out and have cropped a little as well as tried to fix it as much as possible- beyond my limited scope to be able to completely rectify.
I have not been part of any photo clubs so the only forum I have ever been involved in for critiquing is here on TE.
The weekend I did in Marrakech was a photo tour led by a photographer and there were some interesting conversations regarding how much editing of images should be applied. Two of the other "students" on the weekend are experienced hobbyists who seemed to have had many (MANY) years involved in judging various competitions and giving talks to camera clubs etc. It was indeed a fun and eye opening experience. Many big egos in this hobby huh? As for me , I am a beginner, so very happy to receive your comments
Have a great weekend and thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply
Regards
Kathryn