To kathryn_weir: Hdr - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To kathryn_weir: Hdr

Hi Kathryn

I don't usually use HDR - I think it has had it's day as a fashion though there are clearly some ardent followers on TE. I only opted to give it the HDR "treatment" since on this day, as other TE members who were present will testify, it was a miserable grey day with poor light. The only way I could think of to inject some life into the shot was via HDR in post processing. That's about the only time I use it to breathe life into a "limp" shot. Having said that some subjects just cry out for it and it can be effective. I have won a competition with this shot that seemed to lend itself to the technique:

MNAC image

Having said that I just view it as another tool to draw upon in whatever effects you might want to use from time to time. Others take it far more seriously and enhance the details of a shot so subtly that it produces an extremely well exposed shot but it has a kind of clinical sanitised look - too perfect and lacking in character for my taste. But each to their own point of view.

So, overall for me - I can take it or leave it but it has it's uses from time to time.

Enjoy your weekend too.

Mike
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to reply and answer my question about HDR.
I need to figure out how to access comments other than going back through every thread I have followed
I very much believe in trying to get the best exposure in the camera and do as much composition before pressing the shutter release. Having said that I do like to play with creative tools and I guess that may be the bucket that HDR falls into for me. I am sure there are a number of cases where it can add a great deal - let's face it many more shoots lack an essential element than when everything just falls into place absolutely perfectly. I am off to have a browse of your website
Thanks again
Regards
Kathryn