To tyro: Platform 1 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2015-04-04 10:41

Hello Marion,

For someone who likes railways, and especially old ones and old steam locomotives, you have written a very interesting and informative note.

And this is a delightful photograph too with fine strong perspective and excellent composition. The lines of the carriages, the platform and the station buildings lead the eye perfectly under the canopy into the far distance. Did you know that the pattern in the wooden frieze running along the outer edge of the canopy is unique to every single railway station in Britain? - I wonder who decided that and who also designed all the patterns!

Lovely light and colours, perfect exposure and exquisite details and sharpness.

Excellent!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Smile To tyro: Platform 1

Thank you John. I am so glad someone liked it as I really thought it was one of my better efforts. I had about given up on it when up you popped .
Sorry I haven't posted much lately but for some reason the site is not letting me upload my photographs. I am wondering if it has something to do with changing to a Nikon, I never had a problem with the Canon so think will have to go back to that.
Hope your Easter has been a good one and you got lots of lovely photographs. Take care!

Kind Regards
Marion.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM
TE Expert

Default Nikon, Canon & TE.....

Hi Marion,

Thank you for your reply!

Na, I don't think that the problem lies with you camera - more likely with the TE website which nowadays seems to be more concentrated on pop-up advertisements and suchlike than it is on providing a platform (no pun intended!) for photographers. There's been a few problems with the website lately and that's part of the reason I've not been so active here myself recently.

I was just looking at details of your new Nikon P610 - that looks like a pretty awesome camera with an enormous zoom range too - are you into bird watching? - sounds like it would be ideal for that sort of photography.

No, actually, I do like your "Platform 1" picture very much and was surprised myself that it hadn't attracted more interest or comments/critiques. But one thing I've noticed on TE is that the number of critiques you receive bears a pretty close relationship to the number of critiques you write - you only need to look at some photographers who post pretty grim pictures and get lots of positive critiques for them - they're the people who write huge numbers of critiques, often themselves of pretty poor quality - the likes of "Great shot", "Super capture" and other meaningless phrases.

Now I think I shall have to write a critique on your latest shot - another one of steam-driven old machinery - I love that sort of thing! And, now that the weather does actually appear to be improving, I shall need to dust off the camera and get out some more myself!

Take Care.

Kind Regards,

John.