Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great holmertz 2017-11-11 5:47

Hello John,
This is a truly magnificent photo of the rooftops of the town and the autumn colours of the gentle hills of the surrounding scenery. You have wisely included some human presence and activity (and a dog) in the foreground, and a path leading us downhill. The sharpness is admirable, which is best proved by the larger version, and the colours are intense, yet very mild, under the grey sky. I have to add this to my favourites (which I can still watch by switching to the beta site; who knows for how long).
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 11-11-2017, 02:17 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Thank you, Gert!

Thank you, Gert, for your very kind words about this one!

This, in fact, was a very enjoyable walk and one which I have done a few times with my usual "Wednesday walking pals" but on this occasion, at my suggestion, I did this circular walk from Peebles along the banks of the River Tweed (which runs through that little town) with a group of five retired anaesthetists with whom I used to work - but had not met for over a year. The autumn colours were lovely and the walk was all the more enjoyable because we could all look back on the days when we worked and conclude that we are now much happier and more relaxed!

In fact, four of those anaesthetists (they rarely like being called "gas men"!) are in this picture. I usually take this little Canon EOS M camera with me on walks because it is so much lighter than my big one but I find that it can be quite a "hit or miss" affair trying to take pictures with it - it's speed of focusing is dreadfully slow and focusing is often unreliable - but when it does take a picture successfully it seems to do it well. This is the original version of that camera and I can now fully appreciate why, when it first appeared, it was considered a "flop" and proved unpopular. I believe newer versions are much improved but I got this one at a knock-down price and, as I say, if it does manage to take a photo, it usually takes a good one.

Many thanks once again.

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. Yes, TE and "beta" TE continue to exasperate. I read you kind critique on "beta" but unfortunately was unable to reply to it on "beta", so now I am on the "new" site. Hopefully when I click the button this will not disappear. And, of course, I can no longer look at my favourites' photos on the "new" site - I can see them on "beta" but they take a good five minutes to load. Oh dear.

Last edited by tyro; 11-11-2017 at 02:19 PM.