Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-21-2005, 02:28 PM
TE Newbie

Default Amatuer photographer, need help

Hi everyone, I'm starting College (well started now) and am doing Media Studies, which requires the use of Video Camers and photographs. I am intressted in photography and have been part of this site for a long time, but never posted in the forrums or posted any pictures due to the fact I have no camera. I was wondering if anyone may be able to help me find a good quality camera for a beinnger, I don't want a rubbish one, I'm looking for a good quality one, no matter what the price, thanks to any one who can help.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Amatuer photographer, need help

Zanwolf -

Off the top of head:

1- I would first try the 'Want Ads' (cameras for sale)in local newspaper or the college newspaper.
2- Go to the local camera store and inquire about used equipment.
3- Talk to some of your instructors at the local college they may even have loaner cameras for students.
4- Try the local camera club and inquire about used equipment, loaners, or members about stater kits.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

John
Old 09-21-2005, 07:01 PM
TE Junior Member

Choices are (click link below for more information):

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II

Canon EOS 5D

Nikon D2x

These three are the top cameras right now. Very expensive, but pro level, like you said: not rubbish. Make sure to also invest in the most expensive glass, because these cameras will not work well with cheap lenses. Cheers!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 PM
TE Newbie

Ok, thanks a lot, you have helped me a lot here. Just one question, which one would you recommend, because I want one that would suit a beginner but also give out good quality of pictures? Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:02 PM
TE Junior Member

All cameras that I mentioned are the best...if you buy one of them you will be shooting with the best equipment possible. Go to the shop, pick it up and try it out...see which one fits you best and than decide. The Canon EOS 5D is a new camera and is not on sale YET, but should hit the stores within a few weeks. Again, these are VERY EXPENSIVE PRO CAMERAS and you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:49 PM
TE Expert

actually.. i think better than any of the canons mentioned above ( considering that money is not the limit) i think you should go in for the leica digital r9

if megapixels and all that cr*p makes a difference..
then simply go in for the hasselblad h2 although i don't work with digital cameras.. i believe it will make the above canons seem like toys...
after hasseblad is in just another league.. sorry fil :)

however.. personally i feel that since you're going to be a media studies.. you should definitely go in for perhaps a simple fully manual film camera ( irrespective of whether or not you go in for a digital camera) in order to understand the basics of photography properly..
i think it will help you a great deal in the long run...
plus.. you could get a feel of both digital and film.. and experiment with both..

also i think your question is ummmmmm a little naive??????

i think there is no best camera as such.. and to be honest.. i find all those nikon vs canon and blah blah blah discussions on sites like dpreview etc very stupid..

i suggest that if you've not worked with cameras before and are quite new to photography.. you should go in for a really cheap camera( film or digital) in the beginning.. get a feel of your course.. understand what it's all about.. try and figure out what exactly you want to do.. and then go in for a camera that involves a large investment..

after a while you might realise that you want to do commercial photography.. you might want a medium or a large format camera then...

if you want to get into photojournalism.. you might want to work with 35mms
or you might even want to be like one of those photojournalists who are in the thick of things with medium formats and still coming out with amazing photographs..

hey... who knows.. you might even want to work with toy cameras.. if you have the eye for it.. you can produce some outstanding images with them..

so..... in my opinion.. investing in any of the cameras that both fil and i listed above is not wise at alll..

how about wooing photography first before jumping into bed with it ;)
Old 09-22-2005, 12:40 AM
TE Junior Member

Zanwolf -

All of the cameras mentioned in these posts are professional cameras and I would stay away from them for the time being. Ask yourself - Is photography something that Oa am passionate about? Am I jest getting my feet wet and don't know yet? This is why I suggested some used or borrowed equipment. As a beginner I don't think you need or want all the bells and whistles that come with the cameras mentioned. In reality you should start with a manual film camera and learn the basics - talk to your adviser or professors at college and get their input before you plunk thousand of B.Pounds on a camera kit.

John
Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 PM
TE Newbie

I agree with the previous 2 posts. You really should be able to answer your own question (i.e. know enough about photography to know the diff between the cameras) before you are ready to buy a professional-grade one.

As for "rubbish" cameras, we just bought an old, cheap, used Minolta x700 on eBay for $40 and are learning so much about photography from using it and have gotten some phenomenal photos. In my experience, it is more your use of the camera than the camera itself, at least for a loooong portion of the learning curve.

The bottom line is that you should not be a camera snob. Keep an open mind and above all, enjoy using whatever camera you get!

Patricia
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 PM
TE Newbie

Patricia, it would be really foolish to spalsh out on a top of range pro digital camera before going through the basics and learning the principles of photography.I would suggest spending about $100 on a used MANUAL camera, non digital, and then enjoying the experience of learning and understanding what actually happens when you change those dials and controls.I still frequently use a 20 year old rollei and it consistently delivers great images.Take it slow there are thousands of used analog cameras on ebay and you can't go wrong with a pentax or olympus camear of yesteryear.Once you have the hang of the basics then sure go and spalsh on some serious optics.Remember the lens is MUCH more important than the camera body...enjoy andy