To Darren: Sea Eagles - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Darren 2004-03-08 7:45

This is excellent Martin. Usually, I am impressed enough when someone gets a nice clear shot of a wild bird, but to be able to compose as you have is really something. Your exposure seems excellent as well, as the white is true white and there are nice details left in the birds. Are these the same sea eagles I have seen in Thailand and elsewhere throughout SE Asia? I was surprised to see them resting on an ice flow, I always associated them with the tropics.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:42 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Darren: Sea Eagles

Hi Darren,
Thanks for your comments.

I'm afraid I don't know how wide-spread these eagles live, but it wouldn't surprise me if they lived in warmer climes as well as this. Hokkaido get's pretty warm in summer, and I believe the eagles stay here, so they can't be too bothered by warm whether.

A quick Internet search didn't tell me the answer either, but I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything.

Regarding the exposure, for this and other shots of these birds on the ice (coming soon) I switched to center-weighted metering and tried to make sure I had plenty of black and white in the centre of the frame. It seemed to work out OK with the water being dark just after dawn and the dark birds to balance out the white of the ice.

Regards,
Martin (Bayleaf)
Old 03-08-2004, 06:54 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To Darren: Sea Eagles

Thanks Martin. Actually, on your web page, you have shots with a different type of sea eagle as well. Perhaps those are the ones I was thinking about? Not that it really matters, all are still in the same icy climes. Thanks for the reply.