How big of a nerd.... - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-01-2004, 04:06 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: How big of a nerd....

Fascinating discussion here. Please keep us informed what you decide on. (Me, I don't wear a vest. Don't cary a backpack, either. Nor a shoulder-bag. Just a camera, with a lens on it. And a tripod. I pay sherpas, i.e. small children, mostly, to carry the tripod and the camera bag. This is an option at places like Angkor, but maybe not where you are :).
Old 07-05-2004, 03:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: How big of a nerd....

I use both a vest with backpack, AND also sometimes the belt that GrahamB and Green mentioned, but obviously not at the same time. I'd say the belt system is probably the LowePro Field & Street system that can be found here. It is handy if you don't want to carry a lot of equipment. If you do want to carry a lot of gear, and I do mean a lot, you'll basically run out of space without strapping lenses etc. all the way around your back, and then you'll need to be a contortionist to get at it.

The vest I use is called a Four Seasons, but I can't remember the maker, but I bought it here in Japan. It has padded pockets to protect your lenses and lots of other pockets to hold memory cards, cable release, filters etc. It also has a removable back. Basically I can unzip the back and take it off, revealing a mesh back for coolness during the summer months. This is a must in hot countries.

I totally understand your worries about looking like a total geek. I thought long and hard about buying the vest. I finally decided to take the plunge after finding a black one, which in my opinion is not so bad. My wife had actually said she would not leave the house with me if I bought and wore one of the beige vests I'd originally been pondering over.

The biggest thing that really made my mind up was that I was getting tired of missing shots while taking off my backpack, unzipping it and getting out my chosen lens and fitting it to my camera. The same goes for my next CF Card or any other peice of equipment. When it's in your pocket, it's available almost instantly.

What I generally do is put all my stuff in my backpack until I get to where I plan to start shooting, then move all the stuff I think I'll use to my vest pockets before I start. I'm sure I don't look like the coolest guy on the block while I'm wearing it. Far from it in fact, but I don't miss as many shots as before, and that is worth much more to me than looking cool.

One other alternative that I used to do more before I bought the vest is attach LowePro lens pouches to my backpack belt. The LowePro sliplock system that allows you to strap lens pouches and other accessories to the side of some LowePro backpacks (and the Field & Street belt system I linked to above) is easily removable, so you can take the pouches off your back when you start shooting and attach them to your belt or your backpacks waist belt.

Good luck with making your choice.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Poindexter Alert!!

Well, putting my vanity aside somewhat, I made the purchase today. Actually, rather than a true photographers vest, I bought a fishing vest. It was a color more in line with what I am used to wearing (beige instead of black) and is made largely of mesh, which was important to me, I tend to get hot. It seems to have enough space for all my daily lenses, cards, batteries, filters, my cell phone, etc. I haven't really tried it out in the field, but can tell already it will be a much more comfortable method for hauling my stuff around.

I have also found a cure for my vanity. As an accessory to go with the vest, I bought a pair of glasses, a fake nose and a fake moustache, nobody will recognize me ;)
Old 08-22-2004, 05:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Poindexter Alert!!

Hummm, something smell fishy around here... :D
Old 08-22-2004, 05:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Should I ever visit Taiwan I'll spot you in a crowd no doubt with that large fake nose of yours Darren. Congrats on coming to a decision. I sometimes wonder if my camera bag is too empty (since it fits everything I own)... perhaps this is the cap on your recent gear buying spree?

MK
Old 08-22-2004, 05:34 PM
TE Expert

Please tell me I'm dreaming and that this thread is not real... ok..forget it..

that's the way to go Darren! Send us a self portrait.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:44 PM
TE Expert

The vest, glasses, nose and moustache - of course all to be topped by a TE cap - that's the way to go. Best of luck Darren with this fishy experiment, as it also is supplied in the right colour: 'earth look'..
Old 08-22-2004, 05:59 PM
TE Senior Member

Definintely not a cap on the buying spree. I doubt that will ever truly end, but still thinking of a carbon fiber tripod, 300mm f/4 lens, higher end fisheye, second flash, second body, 85mm f/1.4 lens, etc. etc. etc.

It will never end. :)
Old 08-22-2004, 06:07 PM
TE Expert

"Some of them are photography fans..

..others are gear nerds..."

ps: I read this one somewhere in dpreview.com ;o)
Old 08-22-2004, 06:37 PM
TE Senior Member

Hahaha. This must have been on one of the Canon forums. Gear nerds are rampant there ;)