Any way to find out... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-18-2003, 11:19 AM
TE Newbie

Default Any way to find out...

Is there any way to find out which photographers mark your comment as "not useful"?

I'm pretty new to the site, and I really love it. But I was a little dissapointed to see some comments that I had made were "not useful"

The reason that I would like to know who marked them as not useful is so that I can make sure that I don't take any more time out of my busy life to comment on their pictures. I haven't had a lot of people mark them this way - but its just a little frustrating. Short of someone telling me that they think I stink as a photographer - I wouldn't mark any comments as "not useful".

And if there is no way to find out - can I recommend to the site admins for there to be a way?

I'm sure that I can't be alone in being a little frustrated, and want a way to not comment on certain people who don't appreciate your point of view.

And just to clarify, I understand why the "not useful" marker is there - it could be useful to highlight potential trouble makers etc., and I think that it should be there...just open for all to see who didn't appreciate your time and thoughts.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:04 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Any way to find out...

Didn't know this was available to see. How/where can I see the rating on my comments?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:20 PM
TE Newbie

see that little star by your name...click on it and a little box will pop up and show your voting breakdown.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:40 PM
TE Newbie

Cool! Didn't know that. Cheers.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:52 PM
TE Newbie

I wouldn't worry about it though. I've just had a quick scan through some members' points and it seem that almost everyone who makes critiques has at least 1 "not useful" point. The more critiques you make, the more likely someone will find one not useful.

It's not just the person who posted the picture who can mark the comment - anyone who reads them can give an opinion, so knowing who gave you a "black mark" would not achieve anything.

It's just a fact of life (and a good one at that) that not everyone thinks the same. World is often a better place for it.

Chill
Gary
Old 09-18-2003, 03:00 PM
TE Newbie

Luke, I wouldn't worry about it. I understand where this is coming from, as I felt the same when I first started leaving comments and got 3 unappreciative responses. The more I lingered in this site, however, the more I get the feeling that the vast majority is open-minded about critiques - and ungrateful trolls are far-outnumbered.

Don't get me wrong, but I feel the *ranty* spirit of DPC getting the better of ya :). Careful!!! Mike
Old 09-18-2003, 04:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Any way to find out... (I)

Hi there Luke.

Firstly let me welcome you to TE. Just out of curiosity I took the time to have a look at http://www.xhoss.com/ and I tried to learn something from you.

After having read your posting I felt that I might be ably to clarify the comment's rating system. Especially after your line "I understand why the "not useful" marker is there - it could be useful to highlight potential trouble makers" I concluded that you probably misunderstand this rating system.

If I would have to come up with three keywords to describe TrekEarth mostlikely I would summarize that TE is about Photography, Understanding and Learning. Learning by means of inspiration (to analyze work from other members), by means of discussions (to comment or to exchange experiences) but also by means of feedback.

Though the comment's rating system is limited, it does have a clear function. Just like the comments you receive it provides you the opportunity to learn. Both positive and negative criticism can be constructive and learnful as well depending one the person who recieves them and how willingly and open-minded that person is to benefit from that criticism. With other words, seeing and taking the opportunity to learn from others.

Having said this the "not useful" marker is far from used for highlighting trouble makes but moreover used to discourage members to give ratings such as "Cover of a magazine", "Love this one" or "Great shot".
Old 09-18-2003, 04:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Any way to find out... (II)

"...
I'm sure that I can't be alone in being a little frustrated, and want a way to not comment on certain people who don't appreciate your point of view.
..."

Hopefully you understand now -in this perspective- that it is not the people's reflection of not appreciating your point of view, or not appreciating your effort to write comments but merely give you the opportunity to learn.

Personally I find it quite daring to write critiques and one comes much more vulnerable by writing them. Even your little frustration is a prove of that.

However I do hope that you continue with reflecting your opinion Luke.

And don't forget my friend that life is a learning process that never ends ;-)

Best regards
/Edwin
Old 09-18-2003, 07:00 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

If we were able to tell who checked the 'Not Useful' I suspect that there would be a significant amount of fighting.

I'd do this:

Look back over your critiques. See if you gave the equivalent of "Great job!" or "This one stinks!" comments.

Comments, in my lexicon here, are responses given that contain no elements of critique. They provide no information as to why the image is good or what might be done to improve it (or future shots).

Quite literally, these comments are 'Not Useful' in my book. Praise is nice, we could possibly use a method to toss bouquets to images that we like. But empty praise (or condemnation) doesn't a critique make.

If you don't find that you've given empty comments, look to see if other critiquers have greatly disagreed with you. Perhaps you were wildly off base from time to time. (We all have bad days.)

If your personal 'Not Useful's don't seem to fall into one of the two above categories, I think it safe to assume that someone isn't good at accepting criticism, that they have some need for personal growth. That isn't your problem.

I find it best to try to find something good to say about an image along with my criticism. A little sugar helps the medicine go down.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:47 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks everyone for responding...sorry that I didn't earlier, I was having fun with hurricane isabel (my power was out for a good while)...I appreciate others thoughts on the subject.

Apparently not everyone liked my openness and sincerety with this thread as my "not useful" numbers shot up considerably...just reafirms my belief that it shouldn't be a faceless thing...but even grown ups can act like kids behind the safety of their keyboards i guess.

Oh well, I was just venting - of course I will continue to comment, as I like to get comments on mine...and I feel that I need to contribute to the community in order for me to receive as well.

Sorry if I offended anyone...apparently I did...I just wanted to see if anyone felt like me.