Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: WHAT DOES THE TREKAEARTH WANT???

I think what TE wants is for everyone (who wants) to share their travel experience, near or far, with quality photos and some sensible note that goes with it. The pointing system is just an add-on to show your viewers' appreciation of the event, composition, artistry, creativeness, unselfishness, imagination, skills, talent, culture, pixels, experiences, (in)sanity, feelings, 300-kbites, 1s and 0s, sharpness, DoFs, PoVs, XyZs and so on...

If I had a million points to give...I would give it to one of those intensely wrinkled protagonists. Wait, no, no, no, the two points I give to bj40's land cruiser :>>> ...well preserved!

Rgds to all, Alex
Old 09-20-2008, 07:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Mario,

I can see you are not speaking of your own photos, because some are really good, and favourited. Yes, I find it annoying a bit, when some piece of crap photo which is worse than my piece of crap (or another p.o.c. for that matter) gets glowing reviews from social networking, or having your friends sign up just to critique/point you. Just remember most human beings in general have developed the fragile ego, not the strong self-esteem, and may be afraid to give a frank comment so say nothing. That being said, can SOMEONE please critique my "Baby Mama" picture? People, it's a photo of a statue. With a man's face. A woman's naked boobs. Holding the head of George Washington.

Of course I'm joking.....Am I not?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 PM
TE Junior Member

This is how it works for many people here. You give points you receive points. The picture does not matter s***. It is the "tapping on the back" philosophy. Another thing is if you are a member with 20.000 points or one with just 200. You can be sure that if you post a good picture it will receive perhaps only 1/3 of the points due to the fact that you are not a "heavy weight" member. There are of course exceptions when it comes to real photographers like "Polonaise", who are always given points for the great work they present (in my opinion not as much as they deserve) disregarding everything else. But the major problem is the overall bad taste in TE. But like they say, if the majority has bad taste, then bad taste is good taste. Art and taste exist only in the mind.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:35 AM
TE Newbie

I agree with Mario. I have given sooooooo many comments and critiques, all psotive, most constructive, and many detailed. I know I only have 4 photos currently posted, and they aren't the best on Trekearth, but I've only gotten one comment/critique in return. Seems many people out there don't understand the Trekearth ethos.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM
TE Expert

To Mrfish33:
As in any other community, online or not, you have some participants that are more active and others, often the vast majority, that just don't care. 30 critiques is not soooo many and by picking 3 or 4 randomly I noticed that all of them were made to old posts (2005-2007), which can mean that their authors are no longer active.
The thing is that "the system" is made of humans - it may happen that you write about a photo of someone who values "returning" critiques, it may not, and probably the chances of the latter are higher than the former.
Much of the complains about the point system never thought that if people chose to critique only the "better" photos, most of us less talented would get too few critiques.
Take care.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:54 PM
TE Junior Member

To Mrfish33:

Your point is exactly what I believe to be very nonconstructive here on TE. I would understand if you would complain or feel sad because you find your pictures worth of more points. What I can't understand is this attitude "I gave them soooo many points and I have only 2". What do you expect? To be given points just because you gave points? That's a fake, a lie and sadly enough that's the rule for many people in here.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:09 PM
TE Expert

Nuno,

you wrote: "You give points you receive points". There's always two point of view for the same thing. This is the negative PoV. My PoV is a bit more optimistic: "You give time and attention to someone else's work so you receive back time and attention from this person to your own job"... What's wrong with this?

Thoses days I have very little time to spend here in TE so I only take the time to look and coment the photos uploaded my people in my favs list. And since they know me, they are probably the people with I have more chance to get a coment back... So what? Am I a "green faces swapper" for you? If so, let me be honnest: I don't really care... ;-)

CU around,

Loïc
Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Loic,

Don't understand me wrong. This is just a forum. A nice one. But that's it. I couldn't care less if people point or do not point or why they point or why they don't or if I have points or not or if they care about my photos or not. Nevertheless, I'm entitled to an opinion and I believe that the point system or the receiving of points has become or always was on TE the big "THING", the main goal, pushing photography to second plane. As I see it, this is a distortion of priorities. But as you suggest, this is a unimportant matter after all.

Take care Loic
Nuno
Old 09-25-2008, 03:00 PM
TE Expert

Default Re:

OK, Nuno, I get your point but I just wanted to show you that you may look at this phenomenon in a little bit more optimistic way: it's not all about points but also about kindness and courtoisy. For example if somebody I don't know take the time to write me a critique, it's natural to me to take a look at his work...

Have a good day,

Loïc
Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Re:

I can understand that. But when it reaches the point where you feel almost obliged to comment somebody's work to be courteous and when the one commenting expects to be pointed in return, I then feel that the system is going down the cliff. As I said before, I don't like the "tapping on the back" mentality. And by taking the time as you put it, to look at someones work because he pointed you, you don't look at some other work that are perhaps better just because that particular guy did not comment on your photo.

A good day for you too man
Nuno