Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Why so few people shots from N America and Europe?

Cool note, Curtis. I think though there are incredibly expressive (telling gaze) portraits coming from a place like the USA, though maybe by photographers who have enormous talents and skills, and most often than not, have spent time with their subjects, or around their social space.
But talking of India, for ex. Yes, yes, yes! Even here, last week-end I went to the Indian independance festival in some undescrpit suburb, near Silicon valley. Absolutely no problem shooting kids, except for parents asking them to stand at guard as I aimed at them.... Noooo, please, leave them alone! :-)
Still, it's not too risky or dramatic to shoot people here in SF, possibly the coolest big city in the whole USA, and by a huge margin! I wish we were an independant country actually, like the Vatican or Monaco, something like that.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 AM
TE Senior Member

Almost everywhere, model releases are not needed in non commercial photography. Commercial photography does not mean photos which can be sold, it means photos which will be used to endorse a product. This is remarkably consistent throughout the world right now, although there are some buzzes about change coming from a few areas (Germany in particular I believe). Now, McCurry, Salgado, HCB, Parr, Harvey, etc, etc, etc are not commercial photographers in the sense that their images are used to endorse products. Actually, this is not really true, I know McCurry was the photographer for the Marlboro Man cigarette adds, but that is another story: the model was a professional and I am certain there were hours of contract negotiations done. These guys shoot work which falls into the categories of educational, journalistic or art. None of these require a release at all. McCurry can sell a trillion copies of South Southeast and make a billion dollars; a model release is not required. Should he use one of those images to promote Kodak film, the rules change.

If a photographer is getting model releases, I would bet very confidently that he/she submits images to a stock photo companies. Stock companies exist to furnish images to advertising agencies. Non released images are useless to them.

It is really quite amazing how often this comes up on different photo sites on the net, yet it is not all that difficult to understand.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:23 PM
TE Expert

All clear, but for example, what about the countless pictures in my daily newspapers, where the subject is identified (for Ex, caption: Joan XYZ, of Berkeley, is enjoying as dip as temperatures soar in the 100s around the state), almost always if from a "1st world" country, but less so, if from a 3rd world country. Is it simple courtesy towards the subject or designed to protect the publication, despite being a news item?

PS: I still doubt that every model from the 3rd world that had been featured in a photo to endorse a product signed a model release.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:53 AM
TE Newbie

Good Day

Being Canadian, I have always been taught to be careful not to walk in front of someone taking pictures not to offend them or interfere with their photos. I was also under the impression that we were not allowed to post pictures of people on this site.

Gilbert
Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 AM
TE Senior Member

I would think it is at least in part a courtesy the newspapers are extending to locals vs. "foreigners". I would also think that, to at least a small degree, it migt be more of a local courtesy, even as compared to a national one. For example, if the photo is taken in SF and the newspaper is a local one, it might well say JoanXYZ of Berkeley, but if that same photo is in a NY paper, it is more likely to say "a woman". As the distance (and spelling and pronunciation difficulties) increase, I believe it becomes more and more likely that the name will not be used. I think too that using a name in a local paper can't hurt readership or circulation, as that person might be a number of readers' friend, family or colleague -I think the increases will be miniscule, don't get me wrong. At the very least, it personalizes the story for the locals. I do know that I have had my photo in papers in Vancouver and Lethbridge where they used my name, but I did not sign a release.

I share your doubts about models from the 3rd world having signed a model release: I know for personal fact that this does not always happen.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:10 AM
TE Senior Member

Hello Gilbert. I too am hesitant about stepping in front of someone else's shot, for the same reasons you state. I think as a photographer, I am more aware of what another photographer might be trying to do and I know how frustrating it is go get a shot which is half just what you want and half someone walking in from the side.

As for not being allowed to post pictures of people on this site...I am quite surprised you thought that way to be honest. There are thousands of people pics here; I would say that not only is it allowed, it is encouraged. Post away should you want.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:50 PM
TE Junior Member

I think there are a good number of people picts, of street life, of everyday life on the site. I know I've posted a few photos of people in Ireland.

It may be down to the cultures, may be down to the people, but also may have a lot to do with privacy, and perceived privacy laws.

Get out, take photos, smile at people. It's a fun world for photography.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:55 PM
TE Expert

Thanks Darren. Actually I have an anecdote about the names being divulged. A friend of mine, a lawyer is interested in esoteric things like palm reading, tarot, and she went to the sight of these huge circles drawn in fields, a now famous topic. The local Daily went there, interviewed her, took her name, and now, everytime you search engine her name, these articles appear first. Something she takes with humour but could easily find disquieting for her career as a lawyer, especially if looking for work.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:40 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Darren!

Maybe I have misunderstood "Terms of Services" number 5.

“Photographs of family, friends, or pets (not only one's own) are highly discouraged and may be removed with notice.” I thought it included pictures of all people. Those people must be some one friend or family members.

Gilbert
Old 08-19-2006, 02:14 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Darren and Gilbert.

Since the day I joined in this site and started posting photos of people, I have been warned many times by my friends or other people, that I should stop uploading photos of people because these photos reveals somebody's privacy. They insist that I needed to be sure that I asked these people for taking photos, and if I asked that I could upload the shots on the internet.

Actually there was a guy who sued a photographer who uploaded a photo taken on a street that revealed the guy walking there. He was captured very small in there, but he insisted his privacy was invaded. My sister seriously worries about me that I might get sued oneday for the same reason the guy sued the photographer.

People photos are interesting and I want to see more of them, especially street photography are really interesting to my eyes. So it should be encouraged but I feel a bit guilty at the same time.

Well sorry for going off the topic, the thread originally started as "why so few people shots from N america and Europe", and all I talked about was my situation in Japan.