Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-01-2005, 04:55 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Lost in the thread...

Cesar,

I think that's the right way, i'm with you... that's just the way i imagine our little baby ;)

I will (and see how i write will, not would) buy some copies, i can even tell you for:

1- One for myself
2- couple as a gift
3- other couple as a donation to a local school library

Why can't we just think simple? but then... thinking simple is hard isn't it!

Thanks for starting this... not let's go for it... but simple please!

M.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:57 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: jajajaja Mario you read my mind

eheheh it's easier to think (easy) when everybody is sleeping ;)

M.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:17 AM
TE Expert

about the themes, let's still think membership. Let the theme be rather type/category of photography, especially as many members can easily fit in one type. just to think of a few: portraits, streetlife and human condition, regional landscapes showing the attachment of a member to the place where he/she lives, humour, etc..etc....

Hey, i will help in the writing, if needed...and for free!!!! (ahahha, just joking)
Old 07-01-2005, 05:34 AM
TE Expert

Default 2005

I lime the idea of restricting this to a year. In 2005 Im sure we have enough good photos to put together a book. Ofcourse we cant print photos from TE, we need the original high resolution photos for that. Does everyone have their originals? That would cut the number of photos down too I think as probably not everyone keeps their originals. Just doing a 2005 book would cut the number of photos down considerably as well. Applying a filter like the favorites and/or a number of points would further reduce the number of photos we could do. So, I think its possible to do a 100-200 page general photography book for 2005 and cover most of the themes that occur on TE.

As for writing, I think its crucial to have good writing. The notes would have to be re-written specifically for the book.

However, as feasible an idea as a general book is, I much prefer doing a series of books with different themes. Portraits, landscapes, architectural shots, street life, etc. That would be far more interesting for me, it would be easier to gear for a particular audience and it would probably be far more inclusive as we would wind up doing more books and that means more photos.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:38 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: I agree with Jose

favorites selection is one way to go ahead
----------------------------------------
Sure, but let's remember many use the site with different responses to such features. For example, I hardly think anymore of that "fav pix"section, for no special reason. Still, I am sure there are great shots I could have added to my favs.

Also, I know i am anti-elitist, but I refuse to think of a book where "lesser" (sic) photographers will be passed over. My opinion is that all of us have some superb shots, never mind if they have been critiqued little or are not favorites. Again, the way the site is used by us is not always geared towards making it a science, which are the greatest, or most telling shots.

I have a couple friends who deal with publishing and visual media, and though they are not members, they checked TE after I talked about it. Use simple friends or family members too. But the end result is that they pick out shots that were here in eth lower middle of the pack, and members I had never paid attention to. Good ones too. One has no taste for any of my well-noted portraits, but wondered why a pix got next to nothing. Etc....

Er...We're still brainstorming, aren't we? :-)))))
Old 07-01-2005, 05:39 AM
TE Expert

Default Filtering process

Another idea I liked was putting a note on the front page of TE asking people to submit a number of their photos. I think the figure was 5% of their total number of posted pics. Someone with 100 could submit 5 of their best shots. Judging by the participation in this thread, the number of submissions would not be that huge. I think that getting a professional person or a group of publishing professionals with experience with publishing photography books to choose from that lot would be the way to make the final cut.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:45 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Filtering process

I agree with you, outside input (if not decision as to the final choice) is important. It's easy, once we start having enough submitted shots, our own too, let's use people around us with a curiosity or even knowledge about photography and photography books, if any, to give us their opinion.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:47 AM
TE Expert

Default this filtering process has been done already

for the Trieste exhibition...

Just an idea, at that particular time there was a team of the Trieste exhibition organization that made a selection of the pictures for that particular event...

Can it be possible to ask them in return to do the same process once again? As I know TE members were kind with them allowing the use of the pictures, maybe they can do the selection according to the rules defined or the themes chosen to be part of the book...

We may restrict to 2004 and 2005 to narrow the scope of the selection...
And maybe only considering the favorites as already mentioned...

Would they do this in return?

regarding the notes, yes Rafal, they have to be remade specifically for the book...

K.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:56 AM
TE Newbie

Can you please share with us the information you obtained about the pricing.

Good work Kikvel, you are the only one who's actually made some actual progress :).
Old 07-01-2005, 06:03 AM
TE Expert

Default Notes

They are CRUCIAL. I think as crucial as the photos themselves. People want to be able to see a good photo but also to read a well written note. I wonder who will write the notes. Ourselves? I would love the challenge of writing my own notes, getting a photo and note published would kill two birds wih one stone as far as getting published as a photographer and a writer. We would need writing help too though and the input of professional writers along with input from profession photography people.