Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
TE Newbie

Default Scavenger hunts

OK, I give up... I've seen the term "scavenger hunt" on other sites, too, but I just don't know what it means. It seems to be assumed here that we do know but I don't. I looked at the Scavenger hunt pages here, and still don't have a clue.

So: what is a "scavenger hunt" in general, what are "scavenger hunts" on this site, and how does one use them, and why and what for?

Puzzled,
Marjolein
Old 06-08-2007, 02:09 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Scavenger hunts

Marjolein,

Bij de scavenger hunt krijg je een aantal 'opdrachten' cq thema's aangeboden, waarin je kan 'schieten'. Je gaat dan in je eigen omgeving, land of evt. op vakantie, op jacht naar iets dat dat thema dekt (straatmuzikant, trein, religieuze plek s'nachts, de letter P, een combinatie van paars en oranje..verzin het maar..) Vervolgens voeg je het dan toe aan een scavenger hunt. Hoe je ze precies gebruikt weet ik ook niet precies, denk dat het hetzelfde gaat als iets aan een regulier thema toevoegen.
Succes.

Groeten,
Emiel.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 PM
TE Newbie

Well, I would have prefered to be able to understand the answer, too. But my Dutch left me after the second word. :)

Ays
Old 06-09-2007, 12:02 AM
TE Newbie

Ays,

Let me see if I can translate that for you and whoever else might be interested (but I'm not too good at translating...)

Emiel_Skyfreak wrote something like this:
"With the scavenger hunt you're offered a number of tasks or themes in which you can "shoot". Then you go hunting in your own environment, country, or while on vacation for something that matches the theme (street musician, train, religious location at night, the letter P, a combination of purple and orange ... whatever you come up with...). Next, you add this to a scavenger. How you use it exactly I don't quite know, I think it works the same way as adding something to a regular theme."

Thanks Emiel!

That gives me a fairly good idea of how it works here (even that it could be fun) - but leaves open my question of what a "scavenger hunt" in general is. I know what each of the words mean - their combination simply is a concept unknown to me.

Anyone?
Old 06-09-2007, 03:36 AM
TE Junior Member

Check out Wikipedia's Article.

Basically it's just a game where you try to find all the items on a pre-determined list. In TE's version, you have to take photographs of them (Emiel mentioned quite a few of examples).

You can have a look at old scavenger hunts here but there hasn't been a new one up in quite a while.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:08 AM
TE Newbie

Amber,

Thanks for the Wikipedia reference - it's helpful (although the history section seems to be somewhat confused about the difference between "gathering" and "scavenging", but that's beside the point).

I did look at Scavenger Hunt pages here but really got no clue from them. And from Emiel's description I'd also not deduced there would be a list of items to gather.

Does the fact that there hasn't been a new one in a while indicate it's not actually a popular feature here?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:21 AM
TE Junior Member

Hallo Marjolein

the last scavanger hunt, which is <a href=http://www.trekearth.com/scavhunt.php?hid=9>the Hunt - VIII </a>, has finished 31-12-2006, and now no new hunts.
the scavanger hunt only receive the photos made and uploaded at given time, so we could not post a new picture at that last hunt anymore.
Hopefully the admin would create a new scavanger hunt again, it is quite fun actually :)