Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Shoot_Score 2007-06-18 18:15

I think this is also an excellent example of how to share something and allowing us to learn more about the world, thru this photo! There is a story here < "There is a store here" >. Your Note is outstanding! That alone deserves a huge grin! And not a bad photo to boot! It conveys your principal message. Tfs, Jay

PS Exactly what is a "hutong"?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 AM
TE Newbie

Default To Shoot_Score: hutong(s)

Thank you Jay!

A hutong (plural in Chinese hutong, because Chinese doesn't have a plural form! but we tend to say hutongs) is several things: it's an alley with traditional courtyard houses in Beijing; it's a whole neighborhood of such alleys and somewhat larger ones; by extension it's also the often close-knit community in such a neighborhood.

While there are still many of such neighborhoods in Beijing, and some are protected and renovated (the ones that are not completely hopeless), many others are being torn down and replaced by new high-rise apartment buildings, or broken through for new roads - especially in the frenetic haste in which China is preparing for the 2008 Olympics. All cities are undergoing renovation or "renovation" at breakneck speed, not just Beijing.

The hutong I'm referring to in my note with this picture is a neighborhood south-west from Tianmen; if you go to the map (my geo marker is quite accurate) you can see a street going off diagonally to the east: that's the central road of that hutong. Near Tianmen a lot was being torn down last year, farther away, at the western end where the photo was taken it was still relatively untouched. (I have pictures of some of that, too, but I'll "go back" to Yemen first now.)

Oh, and see this, not a bad article: Hutong, though it misses the community aspect.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Shoot_Score: hutong(s)

Thanx eh!

I would add this in the Note(s)!

Jay
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Shoot_Score: hutong(s)

Jay, good point. But I think I'll add it to a note with a photo that is actually about the hutongs, rather than about crickets. And then I'll crosslink. I have a whole little series about the hutongs themselves and what is happening to them, where this will be better at its place. (And meanwhile this is just a few clicks away for those who are interested.)

But thanks for asking - I won't forget (and if I do, hoot!)

Meanwhile I don't want to hop about too much, so fro now I'll concentrate on my latest trip (to Yemen) for the most part, and then travel back in time to Beijing and the DPRK (North Korea). The one picture a day rule feels limiting at times, but also forces one to think about what to post and what not!