Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Mondaychild 2007-06-21 4:55

Hi Marjolein,

Oh ... a PET photo!! But WHAT A pet photo! We´ve had dogs, cats and even oysters ... but crickets ... something REALLY new! The last scream? No. I had crickets. As pets. And I´ve never been to China. Yet. But I had the smaller ones. The ones they sell as PET FOOD!

So, what do you think is the main reason for them to buy crickets? Singing or fighting?

Anyway, by watching your previous photo I would have never guessed that they sell crickets ... I also like it color- and compositionwise: the geometry of the baskets (?) and the green animal amidst the beige baskets.

Interesting and unusual. Well seen!

Old 06-22-2007, 06:15 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Mondaychild: I'm guessing here

Hi Gisi,

Personally, I think keeping crickets for their cheerful chirping (a chorus is ear-deafening, but a single one sitting in the window sill is really pleasant) is the main reason for buying crickets. Supported by that little boy's toy that I saw. They were on sale at the temple shop - but only one kind: singing crickets in a corn cob. :)

But I could be entirely wrong - the cricket-fighting business is somewhat hidden (obviously because of the gambling going on). But if you're interested in the story of the Beijing crickets, check the three links I provided at the end of my note; it's all quite interesting stuff. And one of them has a picture with identical baskets/cages. (Of course, I only found those after returning home - I thought they were kept only for their singing.)