Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 02:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Appropriate posts

Another thread in this forum has made express at last what has been going on in my mind for some time. We all know TE's theme: learning more about the world through photography. However I¡'d like to make a few comments.
There are loads of photos in the gallery which teach us nothing about the world. And I'm not talking only about sunsets (though some of them could be informative). I'm also talking about landscapes and portraits and architecture and... As I am writing these lines I've visited the gallery; on the first page (18 photos), at least 7 teach us nothing about the world (or, being very optimistic, just teach us that the world is a beautiful place...). And however, we love these photos. And we write lots of critiques (or praises) of them. And we mark them as our favourites. I'm "guilty" myself, certainly; I don't pretend to be perfect.
Also, there are many good photos with really poor notes (or no note at all) which are highly estimated by members. Meanwhile, posts with excellent notes and less-than-perfect photos (poor lighting, or sharpness, or whatever) don't even deserve a half smile, or a critique, or just a "useful note" mark.
So, sometimes I wonder what this is all about. Is TE a place to learn about the world ONLY through the best shots? Is it just a place to admire the photographic skills and art whatever the learning?
What do you think? Does anyone feel the same as me?
(All this has nothing to do with my photos, so don't even bother look at them; just look at the gallery).
Nice day to everyone :-)
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Appropriate posts

Ines,

where exactly are you going with this thread? What specific message are you trying to transmit here? It isn't very clear actually.

For you, what photo teaches nothing about the world, or about photography? I've never seen any that taught me nothing at all. Maybe you are a savant and that you know some many things that those pictures teach nothing to you in particular...OR, it is you who is not attentive enough, who knows?

You talk about boring shots, shots with poor notes or excellent notes with less-than-perfect photos deserving no attention and then you ask if this is all about looking and admiring the best shots. You quickly draw a distinction between the shots that you think are poor and the shots you think are good...My advice, in response to your questions at the end of your thread, would be to maybe be more attentive, vigilant to any shots to be able to seize the knowledge that can be caught in the shot before saying it does not deserve a half-smile or a critique...
Only my opinion.

Take care,

Marc
Old 09-05-2007, 03:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi, Marc
I think I have expressed myself quite badly... I'm not saying that a photo doesn't deserve a half-smile or a critique, I'm complaining that people think so (and act accordingly). I totally agree with you that if we are more attentive more photos will have our critiques. That's exactly what I was trying to say. And I also add that not only "beautiful" photos (those which are regarded as "fantastic, spectacular, impressive" by many members) should have our critiques.
That's one part of my message. And there's a second part:
Clearly all photos can teach something, but not all of them teach something about the world. You know that some kinds of shots are not allowed in TE because they are supposed not to teach about the world (studio portraits, pets...). And my thought, my question, or my reflexion is that many other shots posted here teach nothing about the world equally. They may be technically perfect or not, very artistic or not, but their teaching about the world is, at the most, that the world is beautiful. Take your "Easy to be happy" shot: without the note, it would teach us nothing; just that there's a beautiful spot with a nice combination of colours someqhere in Madrid. With the note, it does teach something. And there are many other shots like this (whose technical or artistic value I don't discuss) which are hardly "informative". And I wonder if someone else has this same feeling or is it's me who fails to see the learning side in photos.
Do you now understand what I mean?
(Now, don't think that I don't like or criticise these "uninformative" photos; I do. I do whenever I see a shot which has any interest to me even if that interest doesn't mean that I learn something about the world).
Take care you too
Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 PM
TE Junior Member

yes, Marc, you are right, every photo tells us SOMETHING.

It´s also often rather subjective what a photo tells me: when you watch a photo on this site you see something "in it" - and when I watch the same photo I see something completely differnent. It depends on your "horizon" ...
... a photo of a Canadian landscape might be not very interesting for you, it doesn´t teach you anything new - as this is something you see almost every day in your life. For another TE member in India or in Turkey this might be a very interesting photo, as he doesn´t know so much about Canada, he hasn´t ever been there.

Also, I have to say that not every subject is of equal interest for different persons. Some are more interested in landscape photos, they take mostly landscape photos and they write mostly critiques about this kind of photos. Others are more interested in people, in food, etc.

I think a photo could tell something only if the photographer actually WANTS to tell us something. (and sometimes I can´t see what they want to tell me)

Examples:
- There are lots of photos, (technically perfect photos) of "persons". We don´t really see much of this person, only the shoes walking down a street etc. Or a photo of 2 persons in the street, without any real note. The photographer knows nothing about this person, he doesn´t know about their jobs, where they are from, whether they are a couple, or friends, or brothers and sisters etc. My question: Did the photographer really post this photo because he wanted to tell us something?
- There are lots of photos of children (especially from Asia) titled with "innocence" etc. No note about how the child reacted when the photo was taken, no note about the kids parents, no note about whether the child was playing or eating or whatever when the photo was taken.

So: We all "see" something when we watch a photo. Some of these things might look uninteresting. But, if the note is good and really "explains" what we could/should see, then the note could make an uninteresting photo interesting.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:15 PM

As this is a photographic site as much as anything, I don't think it unreasonable to expect images at least to be in focus / sharp. I certainly accept images taken in less than ideal lighting conditions being posted, but would expect them to be posted with notes explaining the circumstances. If a poorly lit, badly composed image is posted without any explanation I don't see any reason to make the effort myself to comment upon it.
You are certainly right to suggest that many images are posted which tell us little or nothing, but they will only be removed if they are reported and the moderators feel they fall outside the TOS.
It's also probably fair to say that many images which 'Teach us nothing' to use your words, quite possibly could tell us a lot if notes were included.
A system which forced people to add meaningful notes has been discussed in the past but was considered difficult if no impossible to administer.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 PM
TE Expert

Keith,
I just wanted to temper the original message as I thought many strong and quick judgments were made at the very beginning of this discussion. I agree to some of your statements, including the one saying that a picture not meeting TOS requirement should be reported, although I felt the need to use it only once in the last year...
Marc
Old 09-05-2007, 04:38 PM
TE Expert

I'll go with the short answer and reply to a specific part of your text. When you say "I think a photo could tell something only if the photographer actually WANTS to tell us something.", I think the opposite is true as well. The viewer has to be open minded somehow and even those photos you say would be meaningless to you without the note, could be meaningful to someone else. Of course the message won't be the same to every viewer, but that's another story. As you say, it depends a bit on the cultural background, but also on your will to see something.
When re-reading myself, I see it sounds a bit pretentious, but I'm not, it's just my humble way of seeing this.
Best regards,
Marc
Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 PM

Marc,

I don't think the OP was intending to be judgemental, but I can certainly see how some of the remarks could be interpreted that way. That's one of the problems with the written word, without additional input either visual or graphical, it is very much open to interpretation.
I wish I had only seen one image worth reporting in the last year, I report any 'family snap' or similar image that I see, and I see far too many.