Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-09-2005, 07:42 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Every time you click the shutter, ...

... do you think of TE?

Do you ask yourself if what you just clicked is (or will be) worth posting on TE?

The question is how and to what extent does TE influence our photographing habits?

Undoubtably TE continues to be a great learning experience for all of us. But at the same time, does TE subconsciously make us tread the trodden path ever so often where we start limiting ourselves to working in clichés only? Where the acceptance we seek so badly must come only when our collective senses find at least a trace of similarity between what we present now and what has already been presented and accepted? Where we try and ape the masters, however much their mastery, and willfully ignore to see things in a new way, in an individual way?

I am asking these as much to myself as to all TE members.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Every time you click the shutter, ...

Personally, as the TE objective fits much on my personal taste and objectives I may say that almost all my photos are taken thinking much in TE. They are not exclusively taken thinking in TE but I always look at them in a way how can they fit in here.

So I may say the TE is the major influence in my photographic experiences, and a motive to take photos.

“start limiting ourselves to working in clichés only?”

In fact I don’t feel that TE limits that much the creativity. Ok, there are some types of photos that are not allowed here, but if together with a photo there’s a good note fitting it into the TE spirit than I think almost all is allowed. In this way I think that it’s the imagination of the member in getting a good, suitable note that is limiting, more than TE itself. There are some interesting artistic and creative photos here, using blur, noise, radical croppings, etc, that are perfectly fit into TE.

Of course, the need some members have to be accepted, and get high points or many critiques in their photos may limit their creativity, but again, that has much more to do with the member than the site. We see some members who really don’t care about general acceptance and are pretty creative.

Besides that, with TrekLens there’s much more room for experimentation. So if a member wants to try more creative things he may try that site instead.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:52 PM
TE Newbie

Just my opinion but, yes, I think there are many members who "Play to the masses" so to speak. Pigeon-holing themselves into one type of photo because "thats where the points are". Sad, isn't it... We should always be aware of what we are doing when we press that shutter button, but, let's not forget to "step outside the box" sometimes.

Good Day!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:59 PM
TE Junior Member

When I say TE limits us, I dont mean the TOS or anything. By TE I mean we the members of TE who limit ourselves by accepting and encouraging only a set pattern of photography.

There are some interesting artistic and creative photos here...

Yes, there a few but they make a miniscule part of this close to 12,000 strong community unfortunately.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:03 PM
TE Junior Member

"step outside the box" sometimes

Yes Cathe ... that is exactly what I would like to do and see others here on TE do.

And to be honest, I find myself guilty of "pigeon-holing" myself many a time. Must rectify that asap. :)

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:33 PM
TE Expert

ummm, I take a lot of photos usually, and many of them do not fit at TE...so even thought TE is a great influence to me, I do not consider it a limiting factor...not at all

On the otherside, I tend to "extend" my initial interests in photography, to "broaden" my scope of interest mainly thanks to TE. There are so many great photographers here whose work I like that they open my mind and eyes to include a wider view of the world.

To me photography is fun, FUN, FUN.
And would like to keep it that way.
I do not ever want to be worried about photography...that day I will quit shooting

K.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:55 PM
TE Expert

I can honestly say that I never think about the photo receiveing wide acceptance when taking the shot, I do however think of the things I have learnt here and how that will help me to produce the best image possible (and that is ofcourse in my subjective own opinion).

Once I decided the photo is worth uploading here again I don't hope to receive hundreds of points, but I do hope to receive some critiques talking about strong and weak points of the image, hope to receive suggestions about what could be changed or ideas for different approach.

The site itself for me isn't just about showing my photos, infact for me the most time spend here is reading critiques other members make(small number of members have lots to offer), for me it is the most enjoyable (along with interacting with others and just taling about photography) and beneficial.
Peter
Old 02-09-2005, 05:03 PM

"we the members of TE who limit ourselves by accepting and encouraging only a set pattern of photography."

We must be aware that being TE a totally amateur site with so many inexperienced photographers, not only in taking photos but regarding the knowledge of photography in it's different approaches, history, etc., it's natural that it may be a narrow view and opinion about what is a good photo, from the general members part.

In that sense it's possible that the members limit others creativity by praising only a certain type of photography and thus creating a need for some to comply with those standards.

But as Cesar said, I myself have found a lot of inspiration and a big push in my creativity here in TE by looking at those few who dare to break the pattern. Because of that I personally have made, and will present in the future, more creative photos even if they don’t bring me the attention some of my work gives me…

Again it’s the member itself that limits him, more than the others. Even if in smaller numbers, the creative photo is well presented in TE and thus it only depends on each member to decide if he wants to evolve into new experiences or remain in the safe path.

One thing I like a lot in TE, is that because it’s objective it forces members to give meaning and sense to the photos themselves. So the creative photos presented are not only creative but meaningful. And that’s something very different and CREATIVE regarding other photo sites, where photos are mostly presented as an end themselves. Many times aesthetics but no content.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:30 PM
TE Expert

i think avishek has raised a very good point here.
while TE does add to the learning curve of a photographer, i feel that it is only upto a certain point. after that it should be upto the photographer to try and explore some more beyond TE itself and in turn offer his ideas and perspectives to TE .

i believe that there is a need to do this and a need to accept such new ideas.
only then can TE grow not only in quantitatively , but also qualitatively.

at this rate, i think the quality is going to stagnate soon. there are a lot of very talented photographers out here, but they seem to have got caught into sticking to the likes of TE in general.
anyway i think this issue has been raised sveral times, but i dont think it's made too much of a difference. sorry about being so blunt, these are just my views

p.s. no offence to JFK, but look not what you can gain from TE, but what you can give to TE :)
Old 02-09-2005, 06:36 PM
TE Expert

Sohrab,

you're becoming omniscient, ominipotent, and omnipresent. I mean, you're in EVERY discussion of this site. In a certain way, you were born to be a politician. Ok, with more affinity to F. Castro than I. Gandhi, in the sense that you could talk (write) for hours about everything, and about anything, saying much, but never too much... I read somewhere last week that you were in the middle of exams..from where do you get all this energy? Is this pure photography passion, or some divine force pouring on your brain?

No...not being sarcastic or ironic. In fact I love to read you and in the last months you've brought a lot (I mean tons) of interesting stuff to be admired. Not only your photographs, but also your references, your curiosity, your thirst, your kindness. For all of that, thank you. Because you, in fact give a lot to TE. And if I'm leaving a word for you here, it's just because, one more time, you share a very pertinent thought (ok..you could have done better than the JFK reference ;o)...but at the same time, it is so obvious...).

The "hic" Sohrab, is that there will always be more people willing (or able) to receive, than people willing (or able) to give. In TE as anywhere else in life. It is not sufficient to give. It is essential that what we have to give is needed by others. Now, you belong to those who have something precious to share around here. But please realize that not every TE member is in the same situation. Either because they're not proficient enough in photography, either because they're at a stage of their lives when absorbing is more essential than revealing.

Cheers and my sincere admiration for the energy you put in every topic.