To holmertz: Oh, I forgot.......! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-05-28 5:59

Hello John,
When you complain of noise I get curious, so I had to see the very much larger version. Yes, there is some, but not more than in most other photos on the site, of which hardly anyone excuses her/himself. "Despeckling" only made it worse, so this is perfectly fine as it is. The older photo shows what a delightful building this is also from outside, and today's photo is a lot nicer that the WS you added the other time. The light and colours are so much better, and the people - as always - mean so much to me. The stained glass windows are really beautiful.
Thank you for your kind words once again earlier today.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 05-28-2020, 01:29 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Oh, I forgot.......!

Hello Gert,Thank you so much for your kind words!But I had totally forgotten that I had added a workshop photo of the inside of this chapel eight years ago! But at least this is a different image even although it was definitely taken at exactly the same time. In fact, this one was almost as dark as that workshop picture and required quite a bit of lightening - hence, I think, so much noise. I did, actually, try that "despeckling" and it was, as you say, hopeless.But, you see, I have learned from the likes of yourself here on TE - I did choose this particular shot today because it had some people in it - and I now appreciate just how much they can enhance and add interest to a photograph! Funnily enough, the last critique I received for my photo of that Rolls-Royce complained that a picture of the car itself alone would have been far better. You can please some of the people some of the time Kind Regards,John.P.S. On a totally different subject, I just now recall that I watched an interview on television last week of a Swedish epidemiologist called Dr. Anders Tegnell. He was being quite harshly interviewed on the BBC on account of what the interviewer (Stephen Sakur) believed was a high number of deaths of residents in care homes for the elderly. I think the interviewer believed that the lack of harsh restrictions on movement in Sweden were part of the problem but I saw no conclusive comparisons between death rates in your country compared to here or anywhere else. And death rates in care homes have been tragically high in U.K. and particularly so in Scotland (more than 50% of all Covid-19 deaths in Scotland have been in care homes).Are people now being allowed more freedom in Sweden now compared to a week or two ago?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 PM
TE Expert

Default Sorry, Gert...

Hello Gert,

I don't know what happened but that last message I sent somehow appeared without any breaks between sentences or paragraphs - so I hope that it is understandable.

Is this another trick to stop us using TE completely?

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:58 PM
TE Expert

Hello John,
It was perfectly readable despite the lack of breaks.

The high death rate in the care homes for the elderly is the major failure of the Swedish strategy against the pandemic, but I see no connection between that and the lack of harsh restrictions on movement in the country generally. It is acknowledged that the health authorities were too late in declaring a total stop for visits to the care homes, but it has also been found that the staff in too many of them are not properly trained and haven't had proper equipment.
And as you say, similar problems with the care homes have been found in other countries too.

I still believe that the general strategy of not closing down the entire society has been a good idea. The lower and mid level schools are open, making it possible for the parents to work (in hospitals and other important places) and to keep the wheels of economy spinning. There are hardly any known cases of children being infected or spreading the virus, so closing the schools would have caused a lot of problems to the entire society, and of course bereaved the children of their education. A few months is a long time in a child's life.

The problem is not the strategy of an open society, but that everyone is not willing to behave as responsibly as the authorities have wanted. I stay at home much more than I would like to, but when I go out I have to be very careful to keep a distance to others I meet, because very few others make any effort to step aside. The restaurants and bars are too crowded, in spite of regular inspections. (Of course I don't go to restaurants now.)

We have among the relatively highest death rates, which is a tragedy, but I don't see any clear connection between the levels of confinement and the levels of infections and deaths. And I still believe that only time will tell which strategy was the wisest. What will happen with the second and third wave? What will be the connection between strict confinement and suicides, mental illnesses or domestic violence?

We will see in a couple of years, maybe.

Kind regards,
Gert