to frame or not to frame - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-06-2007, 12:28 PM
TE Newbie

Default to frame or not to frame

Does anyone have particular views on framing photos. It sometimes seems to me that putting an electronic frame around a pic can detract from the content, yet at other times a frame can help emphasise settings. Are there rules or is it just individual preference?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: to frame or not to frame

I am very interested in frames and it is definitely one of the things I'm learning here in TE. I'd say their use (in all its possible diversity) is an artistic addition to the photo.

That means that yes, it' a matter of taste, and yes, it can make a real difference if the frame is well designed artistically.

Also, as in most things in art, simplicity is the safest path to beauty - although there are others...

I would say a typical 25 or 50 pixel white frame around any photo will probably make it better than left frameless - as a general rule. Try them. See how they look. Experiment. Post them, and you can be sure people will let you know if they hate it... :-)
Old 04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
TE Expert

As per the TrekEarth Terms of Service: SImple frames are allowed. Meaning that basic straight edge frames are okay, you can even add a drop shaow- but anything more then that can be removed by the moderators of the site.

Regards,
- Dan
Old 04-07-2007, 01:46 AM
TE Newbie

I think that some photos can be enhanced by frames, and some dont need frames. The hardest part is to determine which photos benefit from frames.
However, some people seem use frames as a crutch and frame every single shot. If you have all the creative and design elements to make a great photograph, you shouldn't really need a frame.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
TE Expert

i think that almost every photo will benifict from frames.
internet is no diferent from your bedroom wall ... a frame gives a tast of professionalism and helps to enfasize the content.

i don't believe that a simple frame can hurt the photo itself ... it's always a add-on.

i'm now using a small black border (not even a frame) but believe me ... it makes all the diference.

You cannont rescue a bad photo with a good frame, but you can turn a good photo into something even better
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
TE Expert

Frame or not, ultimately its what INSIDE the frame that counts
Old 04-09-2007, 07:29 PM
TE Newbie

I hate frames.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
TE Junior Member

"I hate frames"

Ever been to a gallery Jac?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Frame? Sometimes....

Some images have white/very light areas along the edges. Adding a "pixel frame" creates a boundary for the image and keeps it from bleeding onto the background.

But folks should realize that the display space provided on this site is small and a large frame can eat into that allocation, thus minimizing the image details.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Frame? Sometimes....

In essence, as Bob rightly points out, it's all a question of balance. Most images benefit from a simple frame (artists have been doing this for centuries) but the frame shouldn't overshadow the image.