Lens or situation?? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Lens or situation??

Man, I started to go to sleep and this question crossed my mind. When you shoot - do you carry a bunch of lenses and shoot what is pleasing to your eye and select a good lens or do you plan where you're shooting and pack the right lens??? I have several lenses that do a good job on this and that. Some better on some things than others. Like one I hardly ever even unpack and it does a great job. Guess that's what made me wonder. What's the best way you think?? Any ideas?
S.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Lens or situation??

Hi Shelly.

I used to be a very reactive photographer and carry "everything - just in case". These days I'm learning the benefits of the "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail" mantra.

If you have a good idea (or a fixed plan) of what you're about to shoot, then why lug round more than you need. For real gear-junkies, then maybe take one "extra" lens as a comfort blanket (a macro?) just in case there's some detail that you can't get with a short range zoom.

Focus and travel light would be my advice.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:36 AM

As most of my work is landscapes, the trusty 24-85 covers most eventualities. I will often take the 75-300 as well. I put it and the ND filters along with polariser, spare battery etc into a bumbag rather than carry the main camera bag with all the rest of the kit that generally just stays in the bag anyway.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
TE Expert

I don't resally try to go for a certain situation, since I have proven to myself that if I do I probably won't find it and by looking for a certain situation I am missing some very nice other moments that I could have caught. In that sense, I'm open for what passes by.

I made a choice for a standard lense for most work; 18-200 VR lense. It will do good to excellent in most situations and be okay under other situations. Off course, a 10-20 mm would be nice, but how often is it that I will actually make the change of lenses or have it with me when I need it?
I carry a Cokin P-kit with me, including some ND / ND grad and a few soft colour filters. Next to that my polarizer, batteries and my external speedlight flash with diffuser. And in the future I'll add a Canon 500D close-up lense-filter to it. Very small and quickly added.

Does this help? ;-)

Greetings! Dennis
Old 05-17-2007, 02:18 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Shelly, a really good question becuase I have at times lugged lenses around and hardly used them. For me, now, I generally have an idea of the type of image I want to create and choose my lenses accordingly. I have zooms which help..(but will try and get some primes when I can aford it :-)) Sometimes I purposely go out with a focal length range I may not always use ... eg 17 - 40mm as this then forces me to consider more carefully what I am shooting.. or I might say... today I will only shoot at 35mm ... or 7omm etc.
Hope this is of some use.
Cjeers
Ken
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 AM
TE Newbie

You know I'm new to the "game" myself, and I've wondered the same thing. I see people out there with tons of gear on, and ask myself is that normal? As for myself, and I do think it all comes down to personal preference, I just try to pick one lens. Mostly and since I bought my new lens 17-35/2.8L, I just love to use this. But, I think it is a good choice to go out with a nice prime lens and to really see what you can get with that one focal length. It can be a challenge I've noticed, but I do believe it's worth it.

-Brian
Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 AM
TE Senior Member

I have an 18 - 200mm that does just about everything I could ask. But then when I switch to the 85mm f1.8 prime or a 24mm, I have to move ME and not the zoom. :)) It's kind of interesting, actually. Then I switch to a 70 - 210 I hardly ever unpack and it makes great pictures. And a 70 - 300 I REALLY never unpack. I sure don't want to lug all that crap around with me all the time. I usually carry my camera and a small digital camera bag with just a couple of extra lenses and that seems to work okay. Just for experimenting mainly. I am still trying to work out the settings that aren't presets. Funny about that. The pictures seem to be a whole lot better. I do appreciate the input and advice, though. Thanks a bunch!!
Shelly
Old 05-17-2007, 04:14 AM
TE Newbie

I am a little paranoid this way (neurotic?). I always think, "what if....?" So I carry a Lowepro slingshot 300 AW with three lenses (one attached to the camera) and other associated gear. I don't really mind as it is common to carry a pack here in Taiwan anyway while riding a scooter. So, I guess I am used to it. Anyway, I hardly ever take out the 70-300 or the 105 Macro, but it is nice to know they are there. Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:49 AM
TE Newbie

Yea that 70-200/300 must be great to go out with..
Since I'm in the city, NYC, I feel I need to get more close. The pictures just dont seem to come out right if I "keep my distance". So I opt for the 17-35mm/1.8 L, and have the 28-135mm USM. As for the primes, I like so far the 50mm 1.8 and the 85 1.8.. Theyre great and light. BUT! I think I gotta keep that 17-35L with me at all times. LIke I said I'm new to this, and whether it be flying or shooting I love to travel lightly.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
TE Senior Member

On my last trip I took a 10-17, an 18-55, and a 50-200 with a 1.5x dSLR (K100D).

After a couple of days I quit carrying the 10-17, I just wasn't using it for the type of shooting that I was doing. Perhaps for landscapes....

I'm looking closely at the new Tamron 18-250 as a one lens solution. Changing lenses can be a real pain when one has to do so several times a day and sometimes shots are missed because the wrong lens is mounted.

With my camera's built-in IS the 18-250 might be a great solution.

I'd like to find a bright, wide prime for interiors. Something around 20mm which would be an "effective 30mm".