Need help with night pictures on Canon EOS400 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-31-2007, 08:13 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Need help with night pictures on Canon EOS400

Hi Friends,

I have been useing Canon point and shoot all ths time with pretty god results. In November I bought my first DSLR i.e. Canon EOS400, which is giving me very good results during the day light, but I am struggling to click pictures with it during the night. May be I am unable to understand the usage. For example, pictures are either shaky, or blurred or have too much of noise. Some times picture have too much of light.
Please suggest, especially all those who have or are using CANON EOS400.
I want to click pictures of monuments in artifical lights, or a moon on a full moon night, may be a tree against the backdrop of cityscape etc. etc.
Thanks a ton.

Regards,

Hemant
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Need help with night pictures on Canon EOS400

Hi
You must use a tripod for night shots because the speed is very slow.
And the sky and water do not allow a good setting of the Autofocus mode.
Personally I don't use the Auto mode for average lights.
I use the manual mode with the spot measures and I make some tests with different exposures between -1/3 and -2.
Don't forget that the dark zones are favorable for the over-exposure of the enlightened zones.
You can have a look in my nights shots.
Good luck.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:36 AM
TE Senior Member

I agree with Didi.
The 400D should be used in manual or Av mode, not P, and never "auto".
Which lenses are you using?, what ISO is in your setting?
Check my gallery.. there are some night shots taken with 400D, and they worked out well.
Autofocus works well at day time, but it is almsot impossible on poor light conditions
best wishes for 2008
jorge
Old 12-31-2007, 10:12 AM
TE Expert

Hi Hemant
Tripod is almost a must, but you can also get reasonable results in low light without it too if you set the camera to AV, open ar maximum, and put high ISO... 400, 600, up to 1600... the shutter speed will be higher, therefore reducing the blur.... For deep night unless you have an iron hand that never shakes... you ll need a tripod!
Hope it will help you too!
Laurent
Old 12-31-2007, 12:31 PM
TE Expert

Hi,

everybody is right there, but my only advice will be... buy a book! It's the best way to learn the basic knowledge and to get the best from your new toy! :)

Haapy new year to all the TEers...

Loïc
Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 PM
TE Expert

Salut Loïc
Le bouquin c'est la meilleure idée, c'est ainsi que j'ai appris la photo en 40 ans d'expérience et je reconnais que même avec les appareils les plus performants il ne faut pas faire confiance aux automatismes.
Bonne année.

Tarzan version
Salut Loïc the book it is the best idea, thus I learnt photography in 40 years experiment I recognize that even with the most powerful camera one should not make confidence with the automatisms.
Happy new year.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 PM
TE Newbie

Exposures of over 1 second tend to have more noise than usual, so if possible use custom Function 2, "Long exposure noise reduction". You will not be able to take another photo after the exposure for a time equal to the exposure time, but the noise will be reduced.
Also remember that you do not need to use ISO 1600, and slower speeds give less noise.
Night scenes are often very contrasty and so they can be difficult to meter accurately. Try to meter from a mid-tone only, or simply adjust the exposure till you get acceptable results.
A tripod is essential.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:36 PM
TE Junior Member

Of course, I just couldn’t emphasize more what the previous posts said:

Use a tripod if possible, if not, use some cheap pack of rice or anything else you can find, like a tree etc. Any shot below 1/60sec @ ISO 100 with a regular lens needs stabilization, I believe. If you’re using a zoom, it’s even worse, of course.

During night or low light I would also do a custom white balance if I can do one, against a supposedly white environment like a wall, or use the appropriate setting that matches the light (the good thing with digital is that you can do that easily and check the results on-site).

Then, use the Tv setting above 1/60s to see what the camera would setup for you. It’s not perfect, but gives a good starting point for your M setting. The AUTO setting is just food for dog’s breakfast, don’t use it anyway. P is OK, Av, Tv (using the * button) and of course M.

Then, most of the time I try to avoid any ISO above 400 (on my 350D) because the grain gets much to important.

If using a tripod, a good idea is also to add some weight using your backpack, for example. That adds to the stabilization. Also, of course, you may use Canon’s feature of raising the mirror (custom functions) and other tricks to get the picture, but using a remote control does it for me most of the time.

Also, concerning night shots, you may think about the right balance of aperture and speed to capture what you really want to get. Too small aperture does not give good results on the EOS 3/400 series, IMHO. The chip is just physically too small to get rid of the limitations of the fresnel law. Above F/11, you just don’t get anymore details.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Pascal
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Book Recommendation

Hi Hemant,

After you've purchased a tripod a really good resource to investigate is: "Digital Night and Low-Light Photography" by Tim Gartside. It is very easy to understand book that breaks things down into chapters on aspects like cityscapes, architectural images, interiors, moon shots, light trails, artificial versus natural light, white balance considerations, etc.

I'd highly recommend it as a good and fun way to learn.

Cheers!

Bob G.