Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2018-11-12 3:37

Hello Bev,

You have written a very moving and heartfelt note and shown us a lovely, very personal photograph from your own community, these young folk about to head off from the church to carry their flags and lay their wreath on your local war memorial.

Not only do we need to remember the millions who suffered and died for our freedom but we need constantly to be reminded never to let greed, hatred and other sins prevail and that is becoming more and more difficult in these days of turbulent politics with Trump, Brexit and various demands for independence. I was very moved by President Macron's speech yesterday echoing a belief I have held for a long time - patriotism is a virtue but nationalism is a curse and "a betrayal of patriotism" as it breeds hatred between people and between nations.

Anyway, enough ranting. This is a lovely photograph despite the rain! But, as always, wet weather does seem to bring out colours, making them more vibrant as seen here, and you have captured this lovely group with perfect exposure and exquisite details and sharpness.

Perfect!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:11 PM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: Their Past Assured Our Future

Thank you so much for this thoughtful critique, John.

I was so surprised by the number of people who turned up for the Remembrance Service in church and then how many additional people congregated at the Cenotaph. It was obviously something that everyone believed in deeply.

Despite the heavy rain, people were not deterred. Paper service details were distributed at the Cenotaph and these slowly disintegrated with the rain! Yet people remained and joined in the service.

I have just been in the village, supporting eight year old schoolchildren to plant sapling trees.
We talked about adding a memorial plaque with regard to the tree planting.
All the children could supply details of the Remembrance Sunday and why it was a special one!
Centenary was a word they understood.
This Memorial really seems to have grabbed the emotions of so many people, for good reason!

Regards, Bev