To jmdias: intelligence, education and poverty - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jmdias 2019-11-20 12:04

mariusz

a nice view of this volcanic landscape, in fact some details looks like our rocks before they were eroded by the rain.
I don't think intelligence goes down because people are poor or live in not educated areas. I guess it is a matter of opportunity, our brain is good enough to go ahead when it has a chance to increase.

take care

jorge

Old 11-20-2019, 08:33 PM
TE Expert

Default To jmdias: intelligence, education and poverty

Hi Jorge,
Yes you are right, it is quite a complicated issue. I was born and raised in a poor country (Communist time Poland) and my parents were not very well educated but mainly because growing in the WWII times, they didn't have opportunities. I believe they are very intelligent though. I suppose human genes do not evolve so fast anyway.
However there is something like an accumulated knowledge which certainly help to achieve success in life.
It is much easier for smart children to flourish when born in well educated family because they have some things readily available.

In the United Kingdom, where I live now, sadly the education is not really appreciated. Salaries of scientists are on average half of salaries of scientists in the USA or Switzerland. May be not too much lower than in Germany but Germany, Austria or Switzerland offer much higher quality of life (including access to high quality education for everyone).

It reminds me exactly the problem which scientists have with structure of proteins: it is believed that genes encode protein sequence and their sequence determines the structure, however the case of Prion proteins illustrates that very much also depends on the environment the proteins are, and in some rare occasions the same protein may adopt quite a different fold, structure depending on the environment it is placed.

One of the traps which many educated people fall into is that the read certain type of newspapers which as well has one view of the reality, and that usually means the view is distorted and something is missing there.

Kind regards,
Mariusz