ridiculous comments of photos on trekEarth - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 06:41 PM
TE Newbie

Default ridiculous comments of photos on trekEarth

I started posting my photos on trekEarth to share my vision of the world, share the places Ive been to,

I try to show it through the moments, that were just a snap, as this is what I find in photography most interesting - technical execution is obviously very important, but some shots are just impossible to take perfect, because its life, life is unpredictible,

some comments dont even make me laugh anymore - they discourage me from posting new photos on the site,

lets take this photo for example - I dont really care if I get accused of drawing attention to my photographs - I just take them as an example and I use my photos, because I feel these are the ones I have the position to defend:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo755827.htm
and the following comment to it:
"Interesting shot, but you should have taken a different PoV for a shot like this, take it from a bit further away, and you could have seen the effect. Nice try anyway."

I guess I should have told the cow: "hey, you, stand there like this and dont move!! I will change my POV, to make the shot more interesting!"

another photo:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo753081.htm

and part of the comment goes: "(...) I guess that the skier could be a bit more centered on the balloon, but the result is still pretty cool (...)"

hmm... the rest of the comment is very positive, but does this part make any sense? the parabole of the skier's jump is very unpredictable - I was lucky to get that shot after spending big part of the event shooting freeskiers from that very position, and I was supposed to make a complete coverege of the event, which lasted only one hour,
besides - being centered it would be so obvious, in my opinion, boring in a way,

I read different comments on photos of other authors and I find very often those completely ridiculous statements, that are there I guess just to show that something is NOT PERFECT! or could have been done better!

is it lack of common sense? of understanding photography?

or maybe I am missing the point - we are supposed to take only perfect shots - doesnt matter if they are just a split of a second, where one had absolutely no time to prepare, or predict,

then Robert Capa should have been blamed for publishing his most famous photo:
http://rosenblumtv.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/capa_big_pic1.jpg

because the soldier isnt perfectly sharp on it - well, I guess Capa should - he faked his name as well!

I dont care either, if I am blamed for not being able to put up with criticism - I am, but with a constructive one,

regards, but only to the ones that show some common sense,

tomek
Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: ridiculous comments of photos on trekEarth

Hi Tomek,
I read your message and went to have a look at your pictures and the comments received. It's quite funny because people are usually complaining about the fact that they're just getting "ooohs and aaahs" comments from others and they would prefer to know how they can make their pictures even better. Though I understand your point of view regarding pictures taken within a split second, without any possibility to prepare yourself, I don't see what's wrong in saying that the shot would have been even better if the skier had been perfectly centered. It's true. It doesn't mean that you weren't lucky to get that shot, it means that you just didn't have the best of luck. :o)

But what I found even funnier, is that went to check out what kind of constructive criticism you are giving to others... only to find that you have written a single comment... WOW! :o))

So come on Tomek, show us what common sense is and start writing those constructive comments to others and you might just get some back in return...
Regards, Brigitte
Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM
TE Newbie

yep,

only one single commment from me,

if I dont comment myself - does it mean I cant comment on how people comment? ;)

I will continue on posting comments rarely - although I look through lots of photos, many do inspire me a lot, while other I dont find interesting at all,

I will comment when I find my statement might be of any use,

I found it in the photo I commented,

besides, I do not await my photos will be praised, if you understood it so from my post, well, seems like only the photos can be criticized on trekEarth, not the comments,

reg
Old 10-17-2007, 07:36 PM
TE Newbie

Honestly - whether or not the comments are justified or meaningful - if you are that thin skinned you would do better not to publicly display your pictures. Keep showing your art, take note of the comments you think helpful and try to consider the others with an open mind.

Bob Palin
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
TE Senior Member

The critiques of your pictures are not ridiculous, you attitude is. If you don't want real critiques don't post your pictures on TE. There are plenty of other sites when critiques do not occur. As for the rest of us, most of us are grateful for critiques and hope the learn from them.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:45 PM
TE Newbie

seems like comments are the "Sacred cow" of trekEarth ;)

I do not personally agree with many of them, two of them were posted on my photos and I used this incident to highlight my opinion,

I didnt use any other's photos, because - as I wrote before - I feel Im in the position to defend my opinion through showing my stuff,

besides - that cow-comment lacks completely sense to me, and I brought the fact up to the public to show the "senseless commenting habbits" on any site - it is not only on trekEarth, although I though it would be somewhat better here,
Old 10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
TE Newbie

Default attitude

each one of us has one,

me myself - I dont like senseless comments - I criticize them - Im ok with being considered ridiculous,
Old 10-17-2007, 08:23 PM
TE Expert

Tomek, just think that some people are as litle inclines as you as leaving comments to others but make an effort to do so anyway, and you should mainly appreciate they chose one fo your shots to do so, not whine about some trivial comment they may have done. At least they try. If you think you know why your shots are not perfect, don't scold others for knowing why too. And if you don't know, read what they have to say. One day might be totally ridiculous reading, but believ me, in 6 months of ridiculous moment, the scrutiny TE accords to our photography will make you improve, and you know what? in 6 months, the skier WILL be in the middle of the balloon.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM
TE Newbie

Default ok

I do get your point guys and I appreciate you argue with me,

I hope you get mine though,

I still think some comments may be discouraging - as they lack sense, they may make the author think "the hell, these people dont even give a second thought about the photo - they comment just for the sake of it! why would I want to show my stuff here then anyway?"

but I do understand that the trekEarth community does not consist of one person, of one kind of personalities, and there will be lots of arguable statements,
Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 PM
TE Senior Member

Default intro

Just say in your intro what you want on TE.
Or write people back personaly, now we all start looking at the persons who wrote a critique to you...
Oh sh**, I did so too!!

Tomek, welcome anyway,
start feeling around and
serious,
if you like it; stay,
or if you don't, try to stop a FAST RUNNING train.
The world keeps turning without TE.