TE photobook project launch. - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 PM
TE Expert

Default TE photobook project launch.

Hello All:

It seems that there the photobook project has gathered some interest.

Here are the issues to be dealt with and the actions needed to accomplish them.

1. Group Book: There is a functionality at blurb which allows
mulitple contributions to a photobook. You can find some
information about that Here.
This will make it easier to collect photos from all interested
members.
Actions: Daniel to setup a group book in blurb for the purpose of the TE photobook.

2. Editorial team: As honoured as I would be to edit the book for
the whole community, I think it would be best that there is a
team of at least three or four editors working on the book
together. I have read on a forum that it is possible for
different people to work on the same book together. You can
find some
information about that Here.
Actions: Editorial team to be chosen, nominated, etc. I volunteer to do the editing, but I would love to have Andre's professional support on this.

3. Number of books and book format.
I think it is best that we keep to one book, as Davids said,
one larger book is cheaper than several smaller ones, plus we
will be able to get the minimum number of orders (400) to get a
bigger discount. Then we need to figure out the book format we
want. Standard Portrait? Standard Landscape? Large format
landscape?
Actions: Define the book format. If any of the professionals has an opinion as to which would look best, it would be welcome.

4. Book layout and photo themes.
I think that there is a consesus about having a two page spread
per photographer. Andre has some very interesting ideas about
how to include the photographers bio info and the photograph
information. Another thing to be agreed upon is the themes:
People and places seems like a good idea. But should we have a
spread on one photographer for only one of these themes? Could
we not mix it? I understand Andre's concern that at the end it
should be visually appealing. Maybe we can request a larger
number of submissions and let the choice to be an editorial
decision.
Actions: Andre to provide an example for the profile pages and for a couple of two page spreads in order to use as a baseline.

5. Choice of pictures and quality control.
This is a potentially conflictive issue, as we want to make the
book content as democratic as possible, but we want to make
sure we can control the quality of the photos in the book.
While I am sure many people will definately contribute with
their best work, there may be some people who either don't
know what their best work is, or they may not have any good
work available. Since the points thing is a very controversial
topic, may I sugest the following:
-Each submission should include 10 photos of which at least 3
have to be favorites. Submissions could depict, people,
places or maybe a mixture of both (half people, half places)
-We should define in advance what information is to be included
with the pictures in order to avoid mulitple communications
with each member. (Release form if not already taken care of
by the blurb site, small description of subject and place)
Therefore all pictures need to include all requested
information when submitted or they will not be considered.
At the end it will be up to the editors (thats why Id rather be
more than just one)to choose which of the 10 submissions will
be included in the book based on layout needs and general
impact on the book as a whole.
Otherwise we could have a voting on the final draft of the
book but I don't know logistically how this would work.
6. Profit proceeds and other things.
Blurb books are sold at a cost price. A profit can be worked
onto the price of the book in theory, but since we are all
going to be the ones buying our own book, I find it to
complicated to manage. My suggestion is to just stick with the
basic price of the book. (Price given in the pricing page,
plus any volume discounts we can get. Again we should aim for
at least 400 copies in order to get a larger discount than 15%)
In the future based on the success of this one project, we
could get together as a community and launch a special interest
book in order to address a specific cause (such as the
tsunami), but for the time being lets keep it simple.

Anyways, looking forward to your feedback.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: TE photobook project launch.

Would be possible to have a link to this forum in the Home page of TE?
Not everybody check out the Forums.

Count me in
cheers
Jorge
Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM
TE Expert

You have to ask the higher authorities about that....
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 PM
TE Senior Member

yes, I know. I left the question here so maybe they will see it.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:57 PM
TE Expert

Daniel,

Your project is on tracks and I can see you will get it printed; the enthusiasm from members is there to prove it.
But I will not be part of it, because my intervention will requires a lot of time investment and I can see it will never get the approval from everyone. Therefore, it's best to organize a competition for the design of this book. Or you should stick to the template grids you'll find on Blurb.

Also, I don't like the idea of one big book at all. Nobody seems to understand that when doing landscapes images, you'll go for an horizontal format most of the time. Nobody understand that when you do portraits, you'll go for a vertical format. So I was just thinking how beautiful a full bleed image would have look like with a large landscape filling the horizontal page, or a terrific portrait filling the vertical page. But by putting all sorts of pictures without any theme, a flea market of "anything goes", it will end up looking like a cacophonous catalogue, just an ordinary repertoire of all sorts of photos, no strong lead, exactly the scrapbook I was talking about. So I don't wish to be implicated with this kind of result.

This is not what a coffee table book is. A coffee table book has a theme. It's not a pizza, it's not a visual mess. It's not a pile of different images crammed into the thickest possible book.

Just by the number of positive response from members concerning books by category, it should have been a good insight to see the interest and relevance of this direction.

But keep it that way, that's exactly what a leader has to do. Stick to your plan, you can't please everyone, including me.

And the idea behind giving away profit money was not based on our own purchase. It was from the sale Blurb can do in their bookstore, because once published, the TrekEarth book can be bought by anybody who might be interested. I'm just thinking about friends of members who enjoy the website, who like the images and would like to buy a copy for themselves or to offer as a Christmas gift (the book should be published 2 months before the Holiday Season - good timing). So that's the profit I was talking about, not the one from members purchase...

Cheers Daniel and good luck with your project.

André
Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
TE Expert

The idea of having one big book seems to be driven by a 20% discount... But if you have 200 pages instead of 100, you will pay more at the end.

Like I've said since the beginning, people who prefer landscapes will be avid to have their photos in a dedicated book, being able to have a large horizontal photo in a prestigious format adapted for their special needs. They would prefer to have a "theme book" and be published among other landscapers. They would be more inclined to participate and to buy copies.

Their book would have cost much less, because it wouldn't be 200 pages of everything, it would have been 100 pages of landscapes...

Deciding to make a Yellow Pages Phone Book based on a 20% discount won't make it any more appealing. A theme book would...
Old 06-19-2008, 05:15 PM
TE Expert

Hi Andre:
Right now I am just passing out ideas.
The reason I mentioned your name was because you are a pro and you seem to know what you are doing.
There are some terms which you have used which I am not familiar with such as "full bleed image".

That is why I asked you if you could provide me with a sample.
I fully understand what you mean regarding formats and a "flea market theme".
I have so far done 4 books (3 in monalbumphoto and 1 in blurb)
For the first three books I felt like I was in a mad rush to get as many photos as I could into the book, and while the results were ok they were far from profesional. For my latest book (which I haven't got yet) I have limited the number of photos, whith most pages having just one photo, sometimes two. I agree that this looks cleaner and more professional.

In any case, I respect your decision not to be involved as an editor, but if you could give me some advise, examples or feedback, then that would be much appreciated. And of course, even if you do not actively participate on the book editing, I do hope to see some of your pictures there because you are one of the best TE photographers around.

Cheers

Daniel
Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 PM
TE Expert

Andre I see your point,
I guess the best thing to do is that I get submissions for both cathegories and then have see based on the material we have to work with.
In any case, you had some cool ideas about design, and I would still be very interested in seeing them if you could spare the time to share them.

Cheers

Daniel
Old 06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
TE Expert

Why not make a list of everyone who's interested and what sort of category they would fall into ? The idea of having a beautiful landscape or architecture book on the coffee table really appeals. As not everyone understands English and the terminology, it could be useful putting it into English, French, Spanish, Polish, Turkish, Greek etc. Sorry I don't know all these languages to do the translation etc.
Pity you don't want to help out or do the front page Andre, I know you'd do an excellent job but I understand that if you're not satisfied with the content, you won't be as inspired.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:38 PM
TE Junior Member

Just a little note about my experience with blurb. In Dec 2007, I ordered a sample 7x7 book from blurb. I wanted to make a photobook of old family pictures, so I included some old faded photos, B/W, sepia, as well as newer colored ones, just to see what the quality was like. Total cost was around $13 for the book and about $7 shipping. With the $10 coupon I had, it came to $10 or so. Not a bad price for a personalized photobook.

I found the software to be clumsy to use. The initial copy I received was very disappointing - some of the pages were creased, with clearly visible uneven ink coverage on several pages, specially on dark areas. The good thing is, they reprinted the book and paid for postage both ways, and they had very good customer service. The new book did not have any of those problems, but it's not high quality. The paper was also heavier, which is a plus. Full-bleed photos would show some slight horizontal streaks along the edges, again more visible on dark areas. It looks like the part where the paper goes through a roller.

As for the 400-book volume discount, I think it applies only if you make a single order of 400 books, delivered to one address. Not the same as 400 different people ordering one book each. Of course, I could be wrong on this.

I'm not trying to discourage the use of blurb, but do not expect top quality - I guess their prices are low a reason. Unfortunately, I don't have first-hand experience with any other printer. Of course, the minimum requirement is only one book, so once you design the book, you can print one copy each at several printers to see who has the best quality/price. The best way to do this is to create one jpg for each full page, whether it's one photo or multiple photos, with or without borders, using photo editing software. That way, you can just upload every page as is, without having to worry about the different software used by different companies.

Best of luck with the book! It surely would be an interesting project.