To Luko: I love... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Luko 2007-02-13 15:47

I'll be again a stickler... what bothers me here is your masking on the drummer boy. Obviously the roblem with this one comes from the sky also, as material needs to be pulled out.

I'll give you a few hints you may try :

- pre(or post) flash the print, it helps much bringing up light greys : when you're finished with your exposure take the neg out of the enlarger, put a very very soft filter like 0, screw the lens to f/22 or whatever very narrow aperture. Light up the enlarger for about 1 sec not more. warning : you'll then need to expose less the overall print.

- develop the white areas with HOT and little diluted developper : mix hot water with a 1/4 proportion of developper, take a cotton pad and gently pat the areas of the exposed print with hot developper (of course this should be done in the dark, just after you've normaly developped your print but not fixed yet)

- two baths print revelation, but you'll need the help of a chemist who knows about soft developers you can go there, select "Dr. Beers' developper" and upload the formula. It's a two bath developper that helps getting proper greys even with a very contrasty print.

- be more specific with your masking, cut a black cardboard from the shape of the areas you want to mask, you cannot use your hands only to mask this one.

Good Luck

Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 AM
TE Newbie

Default To Luko: I love...

[Disclaimer: I am very impressed with what you know about darkroom development and chemicals and tricks and tips for film photography (I had an EOS 50E once, but never a darkroom). So don't take this too seriously, but reading this (and following that link) and your comments on other film pictures I just can't help thinking:]

Damn, I love digital!

:-)
Old 02-14-2007, 12:50 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Luko: I love...

;-))))...and you ain't seen nothing yet... wait until somebody uploads a lith print. I may come in for a few tips..

But yes, you're right in a way. I'm also longing for a digital workflow that would lead to a BW print that equals film quality at affordable price... unfortunately this is still not the case.

...On the other hand, if you are serious about digital, did you read all these tedious hints and tutorials using photoshop layers, blend modes, channels, etc... Sometimes film is more straightforward.

cheers
Luko
Old 02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
TE Newbie

Lith print... I'll be sure to look out for your comments... :-)

I can guess what you mean though. I'm nowhere near stating that I know everything about a digital workflow, but maybe, growing up with a computer since I was 10 I kind of feel closer to layers, masks and blend modes than to paper, cardboard and chemicals.

But the foremost thing in photography, and my biggest problem, composition, is the same on all mediums, so I guess we are all in the same boat.

Greetings,
Ben
Old 02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
TE Expert

hi benjamin how are you?
for me it's the love of the whole process of printing and shooting on tri-x why i'm still sticking to film as long as i can... and which is why i'm not bothered about conveniences :)

getting back to your mail luko...
Old 03-03-2007, 05:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Useful tips and information. What's a lith print?
Regards
Prantik