Default Re: The gentle art of writing notes

Francis,

I hardly read notes...
:D
-Regards
Old 02-17-2007, 02:38 PM
TE Newbie

I am new here and have not looked at a whole lot of pictures, but out of the ones i have the ones that have their notes marked as 'useful' to me tend to be the ones that look like wiki pastes... which would then make a newbie like me think that is what people are wanting. So if so many are hating the wiki pastes... who are all these people saying they are good notes and making it seem that is what makes a good note?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Desiree has a point.

I always like to put "something" in the notes box - even if it's just an anecdote or how I feel about the place + some information about what I've done to the photo - cropping, curves, USM, etc.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of including lyrics or poetry - but if they convey the photographer's feelings better than they can express them for themselves, who are we to argue? There's no compulsion to read the notes - particularly if we are simply here to critique photos. But there's the rub, I suppose.

Trekearth says we're here to "learn about the world through photography" when many seem to want to "learn about photography through the world".

It's been said many times before but, unless Adam becomes prescriptive about what must / must not be included then we all take our chances that the viewer(s) might find the note / info useful.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:58 PM
TE Newbie

Actually, when I look at a picture I want to know what I'm looking at. True, I don't see any reason to paste a whole Wikipedia article, but I'd rather read something about the place or the building or the culture portrayed, than some personal experience about how "his girlfriend broke a nail in the vicinity of the temple" or whatever. Honestly, I don't care about personal holiday stories. I wanna know something about the place and culture. And BTW, I kinda thought this was the theme of the site...
Old 02-18-2007, 02:31 PM
TE Expert

Ok I guess I didn't make myself clear, so here we go ALL OVER AGAIN:
I too believe in culturally advancing notes but they should be of a "personal" nature, actually written by the photograher.
What I dislike is this lazy, generic, thoughtless CUT-AND-PASTING of bloody Wikepedia which is just more Web effluvia if you ask me.
Wikepedia is NOT was this site is about. This site is about sharing experiences of culture, YOURS, not some faceless committee behind WIKI!
Is that too much to ask?
Anyone?
And not being fluent in English is not excuse - you can post in a variety of languages on this site, or chose to write in English as best you can - no one will laugh at you.
Let's go all the way: NO NOTE is better than Wiki, ho's that for drawing a line in the sand?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:14 PM
TE Senior Member

Descriptive Notes

Members are strongly encouraged to post descriptive notes with their photos. Notes help provide other members with information about your shot and help them to tailor their critiques to your specific needs. Shots without notes tend to receive less feedback than shots with descriptive notes.
Notes may be written in any language.
The note may include the following types of information:
A description of the subject of the photo and how you think the photo helps other members learn about the world;
Technical aspects relating to the taking of the shot and any post-processing you might have done;
The conditions under which the shot was taken;
Your goal when you took the shot;
Any request for particular feedback that you’d like to have.

Oke this is what the boss of the side, Adam write about it.It looks clear to me. Francis maybe you can start your own photoside.
gr. jaap
Old 02-18-2007, 03:33 PM
TE Senior Member

This takes the award for being THE most pathetic and useless rant I've ever read on this board. If it bores you don't read it it's that simple. I normally add something personal in the beginning followed by more detailed information taken from the web and I credit the source, most often Wiki, but excuuuuuse ME for not memorizing the precise elevation, population, date of construction, etc etc of every f%&%&%ing village on this planet. Some people want to know this stuff, and it's far better than no note at all. From what I've read so far, you would rather see a personal note in a language you can't understand than a wiki note? WTF? What is the logic behind that? That person might be sharing his grandmother's arthritis problems in length, but it's in Swahili so it's OK? Phhfft! That's all from me on this topic, I'm drunk now so I've said more than enough already.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:05 PM
TE Senior Member

I' m glad we agree now that long notes are alowed.

Francis, you write good critiques, next time you see a bad note, take your time and write a critique explaining your gentle art.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:15 AM
TE Junior Member

"Let's go all the way: NO NOTE is better than Wiki, ho's that for drawing a line in the sand?"

Idiotic, frankly. I assume personal hyperbole, an effort to express the strength of your opinion.

This site is "learning about the world through photography". I am glad you have put your interpretation on that, but your interpretation does not have to be adopted by all.

Surely travel teaches tolerance? Something you seem to be lacking in this thread - perhaps you should travel more :-))))
Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 AM
TE Expert

Look, let'S go into this deeper, ok, Richard?
Sure this was hyperbole on my part but I'm trying to get at an underlying problem that many encounter on TE or any borad-ranging photo site: the "dreaded cliche syndrome". It's bad enough that there are bound to be many photographic cliches (unavoidable really), but must be compound it by these lazy atomatic pastings from Wiki?
Do you see what I'm getting aT? Does anyone else reading this get what I'm hinting at?
I am simply railing against "dumbing down" which this Wiki mania is part of and exhorting epople to write (no matter how awkwardly) from their gut, thuis ensuring that TE remains vibrant and meaningful.