Posting People's Faces - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Posting People's Faces

I agree with the replies to my comment. However, we always have the option of taking the picture first and then asking. I know this is a long tradition but I still believe that we should respect people's privacy. If I take a picture of someone and then ask that person if I can keep that picture I will keep it. If that person say not I will delete it. I know also I will not change anyone's mind regarding this subject, and that is not my intention, but I am stating what I think is right in my own opinion. Just the three of you didn't answer my initial question. How you feel if I profit of a picture I snap of you? Cheers :-)
Old 07-16-2007, 02:50 PM
TE Expert

How you feel if I profit of a picture I snap of you?
----------------------------------------------------

If it's about photography, very good, and happy for you. If it's about selling a product, I may consult a lawyer who may talk to your lawyer... ;-)
Old 07-16-2007, 05:05 PM
TE Expert

"press and stock agencies ask for a release"

Not always true ... you have always the oportunity to sell them under editorial licence and therefore you don't need a Model Release signed by the "model".

I agree with Rafal ... some of the greatest photos in history were taken without permission beeing asked.

In street photography everything changes in a blink of an eye ... and most of the times we are portraiting the "street" itself not the person in it.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM
TE Newbie

I do not think I would care about the Europeans laws! It is a matter of personal freedom and perception. You have no right to take photos of other people without them giving you the permission to do so. I do not know why you have to think that you require a Law for this! I am a Muslim and we are taught to respect the privacy of others. I do not know what the Western propaganda tells you about Islam but we are taught decency first and then anything else. Even though time is changing things....
Old 07-17-2007, 12:33 PM
TE Expert

You have no right to take photos of other people without them giving you the permission to do so. I do not know why you have to think that you require a Law for this!
------------------------

This is ofcourse wrong. What you may not like doesnt actually have any effect on our rights and our freedoms. We have a very real right to take photos of others in public spaces. This has actually been decided in the courts.

-------------------------------------------------
I do not know why you have to think that you require a Law for this!
-----------------------------------------------

Because the Western democracies are governed by something called "The Rule of Law" which is enshrined in our charters of rights and freedoms. As far as photography goes you can read something called "The Photographer’s Right". http://krages.com/phoright.htm

Some highlights

"The general rule in the United States is that anyone may take photographs of whatever they want when they are in a public place or places where they have permission to take photographs. Absent a specific legal prohibition such as a statute or ordinance, you are legally entitled to take photographs. Examples of places that are traditionally considered public are streets, sidewalks, and public parks. Property owners may legally prohibit photography on their premises but have no right to prohibit others from photographing their property from other locations. Whether you need permission from property owners to take photographs while on their premises depends on the circumstances. In most places, you may reasonably assume that taking photographs is allowed and that you do not need explicit permission. However, this is a judgment call and you should request permission when the circumstances suggest that the owner is likely to object. In any case, when a property owner tells you not to take photographs while on the premises, you are legally obligated to honor the request."

There are ofcourse exceptions but you can read about them on your own.

Here is something from the UK http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php

Its more restrictive however in essence we are free to photograph people in public spaces. Thats our right under the secular laws of our DEMOCRACIES.

The same goes for pretty much all the Western societies, some being a bit more retsictive than others, however all granting us the right to take the picture of anyone we wish. Even YOURS if you should ever come to one of our wonderful Western democracies.

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Muslim and we are taught to respect the privacy of others. I do not know what the Western propaganda tells you about Islam but we are taught decency first and then anything else. Even though time is changing things....
--------------------------------------------------

You are implying what, that we in the West are NOT taught "basic decency" or that taking photos of people isnt decent? Why bring up your religion? This is pure bull you are serving up. I will take our democratic system anyday, where the law is SECULAR and affords us rights and freedoms sadly lacking in places where democracy and secular rationality have not found fertile ground.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 PM
TE Expert

I do not think I would care about the Europeans laws!
-----------------------------------------

I forgot this little tidbit. Regarding the above, if you ever do come to one of our wonderful Western democracies you better care about the laws. (In Bangladesh you are ofcourse welcome not to care about European laws. And photographers should ofcourse care about your laws too.) None of our laws are a "matter of perception". They are absolutes not subject to whimsical interpretation on your or anyone else's part.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
TE Expert

P.S. "Basic decency" is actualy quite the opposite of what I saw in some of your critiques. Racism isnt basic decency.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM
TE Newbie

You sound like you are a white man. You are one, right? You just have to look back at your past to understand what 'decency' you taught yourself. Every single European nation- starging from the Greek (alexander), the Itlians, the British, the French.... the list goes on (the last were the Germans)... EVERY single nation went out robbing other places. You literally robbed other places, made colonies there and sucked their wealth. Now you teach us decency? I wonder how the British actually tell their children about their past, their history, a history of loot, rape, dishonesty, bluff, machinations, attacking the other party from behind, betrayal.... And you teach us decency? You think your goddamn laws make any difference to us? I do not think I chose to be hostile. You started it. I am of Pathan blood. I would have knocked your white nose of your face if you were before me right now. If you are man, come alone and fight with me. I dont want to fight with my Tongue anymore. I want to use my hands on you, you white piece of garbage.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Would the above comments be grounds for revoking eusha's account? I should hope so. This is entirely inappropriate for TE!!

~V~
Old 07-17-2007, 02:51 PM
TE Expert

You sound like you are a white man
-------------------------------

If racism is part of your basic decency, May I ask Adam to remove you from a site you seem to have joined to spew hatred. Nice english, BTW....