A FINE NEW LAYOUT - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 05:45 AM
TE Junior Member

Default A FINE NEW LAYOUT

I was absent when the new layout etc was introduced, but after a week my conclusion is that I like it! It takes some time to get used to the changes but it works well for me, and the colour palette is tasteful.

However it is a tad disappointing also since I expected new functionality, but the new features like most viewed and favourites for each location are more gimmicks than useful.

What I really miss is a floating top menu! Besides, they really managed to hide the translate function, as I personally use this not only for critiques…

The new look was upon time, not a bad word about the old site but 6-8 year in the Internet is like since the last ice age!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: A FINE NEW LAYOUT

I agree with you.
We have to get used to it...
Best wishes
Marc
Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 AM
TE Junior Member

I think the colours and layout are very nice. They give the site a more modern and sophisticated look. The functionality still lacking in several ways. Over time hopefully the site owners will fix all the bugs.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 AM
TE Junior Member

I agree completely with Pablo. This 'positive' thread gives me opportunity to say what I feel...

I've been quitely watching the hoopla over the new layout for the last couple of weeks, but I've liked it immensely. Look at the face value of new TE- it now 'belongs' to this age. For the problems reported or functionality missing, I would like to say, and others would agree, that things are falling in place with time. Let's hope that every problem reported is taken care of, but we must understand that it can't be done overnight. One more thing, people accustomed to one thing hesitate to accept a new thing, so when the beta version was put into production suddenly, they panicked. The old site was friendly, because we were used to it. The new one will become so, but with time.

I feel some little steps from site owners would've helped-

1- Testing of beta version and fixing problems should have been given more time. A lot of this-n-that-not-working could have been avoided certainly.
2- Several issues are simply not there- it is user's ignorance and they should not be blamed for that. A user guide/tutorial explaining users where-to-find-what would have been very helpful.
3- Before launching the beta version, users should have been taken into confidence. Instead of no/little communication, A simple message of cooperation from site owners could have created a lot of rapport.

Having said all that, I'm optimistic. I'm myself in software and know that re-launching such a big platform isn't that easy.

So instead of cribbing and crying like toddlers, can't we behave like grown-ups. Lets accept that there have been some glitches, so what. Let's have a heart. Give it a chance. Do we reject our friends or relatives as soon as they fall sick for the very first time? We accept them and encourage them to bounce back, right...?

I'm with those working on TE, to make it better and I'm ready to have patience. I'll stick to it. I'll NOT delete my photos, turn my back and walk away. I'll be here till it blooms again...

PS: No, I've not been commissioned by TE owners to say all these things. I'm only a user just like you. In fact, a relatively very recent member than most of you...
Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 AM

I'm with those working on TE, to make it better and I'm ready to have patience. I'll stick to it. I'll NOT delete my photos, turn my back and walk away. I'll be here till it blooms again...

I like that! :o))) - Thank you - Viviane
Old 06-13-2009, 03:04 PM

I'm another one who plans to stay around to see how things develop. I haven't posted a lot lately but that has absolutely nothing to do with the changes to the site.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:08 PM
TE Senior Member

Neither will I throw the baby out with the bathwater. I am keeping my account, my photos here and coming back from time to time to see how things evolve. And, I too, have more pressing issues than photography these days, so it is not entirely anything to do with the new layout or any of that.

Shelly