Info lens Canon EF-S 15-85 f:3.5-5.6 IS USM - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 AM
TE Expert

Default Info lens Canon EF-S 15-85 f:3.5-5.6 IS USM

I envisage the purchase of a new lens. Somebody has information on this objective (Canon EF-S 15-85 f:3.5-5.6 IS USM) came out 2 months ago in France. At the moment, I shall put it on my EOS 400 D, but in the futur, I intend to replace it with an EOS 7D or better an EOS 5D MkII.
Thank you
Diane

J'envisage l'achat d'un nouvel objectif. Quelqu'un a-t-il des infos sur cet objectif (Canon EF-S 15-85 f:3.5-5.6 IS USM) sorti il y a 2 mois. Pour l'instant, je le mettrai sur mon EOS 400 D, mais là aussi, j'envisage de le remplacer d'ici quelques temps par un EOS 7D ou mieux un EOS 5D MkII.
Merci
Diane
Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Info lens Canon EF-S 15-85 f:3.5-5.6 IS USM

Hello Diane,

Je n'ai pas d'info concernant cet objectif (car ça fait un moment que je ne suis plus l'actualité "cailloux" car je suis contente avec ce que j'ai), mais il me semble que la monture du 5D MkII n'est pas compatible avec les objectifs EF-S, par contre avec le 7D c'est OK.

Brigitte
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM
TE Junior Member

Hello Diane,
Here is a bit of advice from my brother, who tests digital cameras for a large retailer here in CZ, writes reviews and does consulting for customers.
He says that the lens you are considering would limit your choice of camera to 7D, you cannot use it on a 5D. The 7D has the same sensor as your present camera, whereas you may want to go for the larger sensor of the 5D in the future.
As for the lens, he says that in the same price range, he would recommend the 17-40 4L USM, which can be used on the 5D.
He says that neither of them is a mirracle in terms of performance (the 17-40 is a bit better), but in this price range, it is the best you can get.
If you want to see their test pictures, here are the links.
http://www.megapixel.cz/canon-ef-17-40mm-f-4-l-usm#dia-1
http://www.megapixel.cz/canon-ef-s-15-85-mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-usm#nazory

You will see thumbnails with basic info about the picture below (in red is the type of camera used). When you click on the thumbnail, you will get a screen with the picture. To the right of the picture is the option "Zobrazit 1:1" - click on it to get the picture in full resolution.

The 15-85 lens was tested at some kind of a Canon presentation, they only had it for a couple of hours (this was before it was put on the market in the Czech Republic), so they had no choice of the light conditoins in which they tested. The first fiew pictures, shot with the basic ISO settings, were shot from a tripod, the ISO 1600 are hand-held.
Hope this helps you in your choice. Let me know if there is anything more I can find out for you.
Hope you are enjoying your holidays and wishing you all the best for the New Year!
Dasha
Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 AM
TE Expert

Merci Bibi pour cette info, je vais vérifier cela, c'est important en effet!
Amicalement
Diane
Old 12-28-2009, 11:02 AM
TE Expert

Thank you Dasha for this information. I saw photos on both sites. I am going to understand the Czech language thanks to you! It is very interesting to see photos in full house resolution. I agree with your brother: neither of them is has mirracle in terms of performance. So, I am going to think again before this purchase and maybe to envisage a lens without zoom.
I wish you a very happy new year.
All the best
Diane
Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello Dianne,
Thanks for your reply. I do not want to discourage you from buying the lens, because as much as a fixed lens will produce much better pictures, it does not offer as much versatility and you may end up cropping your shots and losing out on sharpness anyway.

You may want to look at what lenses other Canon users here on TE use (for example Jean Yves (PixelTerror) with his 5D MkII, or Hercules (Cretense) with his top-notch 1Ds MkIII) and see how the test photos for those lense compare with the test photos for the two lenses we discussed. And for that matter, you may want to see the reviews on the lenses you currently use. Just plug the name of the lens into the website I gave you and see the full-resolution test photos for that particular lens (enter the name into the search box at the top, press "hledej", and then choose the tab entitled "Nazor Megapixelu").

For example the professional lens 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM (which is about twice the price of the lens you are considering, http://www.megapixel.cz/canon-ef-16-35-mm-f28-usm#nazory) does have far better results, but the question is whether you need that. Of course I don't know how you use your photos and whether you make large enlargements. If not, you might be happy with the mid-range lenses. They are certainly not bad, just not mirraculous ;-)
Take care,
Dasha