Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-18-2003, 01:36 AM
TE Newbie

Default About critics..

Why does so few photos are criticised by members..?

It appears that some beautiful photographies are not criticised. Why? Is the critics reserved for a bad judgement?

I saw so many photos which - to my mind - requires a critic..
TrekEarth website gathers together a little community composed of photographer, I thought that if the photographers signed on, on this website they could offer their services about giving advices, or tips; and not to limit their efforts by exhibiting their photos and that's all.

Do you agree with me?
If yes, please give some tips to all photos that appears to you not perfect !

thank you.

Have a nice day
Old 02-18-2003, 11:12 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: About critics..

Well, thoughtful critiques can take quite some time and effort so in a way it can be expected that there are not more. I think the current one to one ratio is not too bad.

Nevertheless, I'd like to encourage thoughtful critiques as much as possible. One way I tried to do so is to have silver/gold stars listed next to highly rated critiquers. If anyone has any other ideas on how to encourage thoughtful critiques, please let me know.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:13 PM
TE Newbie

Critiques can be renamed to "comments" and replace forums connected to photo. There's no need for separate interfaces for critiques/comments of a photo.

Points people give to photo, can be separated from critiques/comments and devided to several "disciplines".
For example "technics", "originality", "artistics", or some other. It will motivate people to response somehow to photos they see, because some shots can be very interesting and technically wierd at the same time and vise versa.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:18 AM
TE Newbie

I Agree with you..
Critics could be renamed in advices or comments.
That would motivate as you said people.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:32 AM
TE Expert

"There's no need for separate interfaces for critiques/comments of a photo."

I am currently putting in place a TrekEarth Beta site where members can view any major changes. I plan on changing the interface to somewhat match what you wrote, but this will take some time.

It will be possible to either COMMENT (with no rating) or CRITIQUE (with a rating). One will also be able to respond to critiques/comments. There is a potential negative to this in that if the popularity of the site increases greatly, the number of comments/discussions could get messy, whereas a separate discussion area cuts down on the clutter yet still allows dialogue to take place. Nevertheless I will be adding the ability to make comments and responses to critiques etc. Workshop photos will become 'Visual Critiques', among other changes.

As for #2, I'm not convinced of this yet. Points are fairly irrelevant to begin with, but to go with your example, since there are only 3 choices, +0, +1 and +2, one could give a photo that is both technically and artistically great a +2, either technically OR artistically great a +1, and neither a +0. This would need to be explained in a written critique anyway, so I'm inclined to keep it this simple way. I of course could still change my mind if more people chime in to convince me.