Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-25-2002, 09:57 PM
TE Newbie

Default Digital Cameras

Having never used one before im looking for some advice on what to buy. Any suggestions on a decent camera? Im looking for something high quality enough to print pics at 8x10.

Also, is it possible to find photo places that will print pics off of a disk?
Old 11-25-2002, 10:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Digital Cameras

Well, I could write pages...

First, the best (IMHO) opinion site for digital camera information is www.dpreview.com.

If you wish to print film quality 8"x10" I would get a five megapixel camera. There is an excellent article on www.luminous-landscape.com that demonstrates that the image quality of the Sony F707(?) prints as well as Provia. (I'll try to dig out a direct link later.)

Go to dpreview, check the reviews for some sample pictures, download and print. See what you think.

I like big zooms. The models falling into the 5 meg, big zoom category are the Sony, Minolta D7i/D7Hi, Nikon 5700.

As for prints, many places. You can upload to places such as Ofoto or Walmart and have the prints mailed to you or pick up your Walmart prints at your local store. Many photography shops now offer printing from disk or memory card.

Our local (town of 9,000) has a kiosk into which you insert your CD/card, select the pictures that you want printed. The prints are made by the same machine that prints from film (which are almost always scanned and printed digitally these days).
Old 11-26-2002, 01:23 AM
TE Senior Member

You can get perfectly acceptable 8x10s from a 2 megapixel camera so if budget is an issue, consider the 2-3 megapixel cameras as well. These arguably will give you the best value for your money.

There's also some useful info here:
http://www.dcresource.com/faq/faq.html
Old 11-26-2002, 06:44 AM
TE Senior Member

I shoot a 2 meg camera and with a 2 meg file you can produce a quite acceptable 8"x10" print with some subjects. Portraits, for example, can be printed at 150 dpi. If your image requires more fine detail then 2 megs won't be enough.

If you would like to read a very objective (I think) analysis of the state of digital photography go to www.luminous-landscape.com, look down the page for a link to an article by Miles Hecker called "Digital Camera Image Quality".

In summary, Miles finds that a 5 meg (he used the Sony F707) digital will print up to 8"x11" without decrease in quality and the newest Canon and Kodak 11 and 14 meg cameras exceed what one can print from 35mm film. (My budget won't go there though.)

Old 11-26-2002, 06:58 AM
TE Newbie

Hey guys, thanks for your help. The links you both provided have been very useful.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:15 AM
TE Newbie

Another great site I used when looking for my digital camera was www.megapixel.net. They gave a rating on many cameras and that help me make my choice.
I ended up with a Cannon Powershot G2 and I love it. I suggest you buy the best you can afford because you know that within 6 months or less, something better, new, with more features will come out and you want to be happy with what you have for some time to come.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:52 PM
TE Newbie

Few people have already mentioned this site here,

www.dpreview.com

Great forums
Eric