Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

xuaxo 2010-01-03 6:31

Hi Mary,
Good photo for its age.
I agree with your description of Portuguese farms. West of Vila Franca de Xira, it is in Ribatejo province (if near) or Estremadura (if further away); differences are not big.
You're lucky to find a real home-made model of a farm. Nowadays there are models made in China, sold to tourists and even to locals. Do you believe, the Chinese even sell Portuguese flags in Portugal, made in China, with some errors in details! (the coat of arms has castles; the Chinese sold some flags with oriental pagodas instead).
Regards,
Francisco

Old 01-03-2010, 07:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To xuaxo: Portuguese farm I

Thank you Francisco,
I'm sorry to hear that my model is now a rarity. When I wrote my note, I had just returned from many years in Jamaica and assumed the model was where I was told it had been stored. A couple of days I found it, slightly but not irreparably damaged, and it is now on display again. The base is inscribed: Garela G L (the maker's name?)and what looks like Lassafora EP (his location?). I can only find Assafora on the web but I know I was a lot further northeast than that when I found the barn.
It would be nice to encourage local craftsmen and more discriminating tourists to support a return to authentic products. The Chinese have been invading everywhere, including Jamaica. However, through the responsible/community tourism movement we are making progress towards the restoration of Jamaican crafts.
Regards,
Mary
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To xuaxo: Portuguese farm I

Despite the Chinese-made products, in Portugal you still find crafts made by local people. Your model can be a rarity, if nobody continued its production, but you can find others, made here. The Chinese products are mostly found in areas with high concentration of tourists, of course. But tourists who know what they want, they can find the real thing.
"Garela G L" can be the maker's name, but I'm not sure. "Garela" is an unusual name of a bird, but can be used as a family last name. In some areas of Portugal there are very strange family names.
"Lassafora E P" is even more strange. I know only Assafora. But can be the name of a little known little village. Or a family name too.
Your model is kind of a mistery :-)
F.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To xuaxo: Portuguese farm I

Thanks so much, Francisco, for this follow up. I shall continue to enjoy the mystery!
A