Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-10-2006, 01:19 AM
TE Expert

Default I ‘leased’ a photo, thanks to TrekEarth

Through TrekEarth one of my photos from Mongolia was selected by the <a href="http://muze.sabanciuniv.edu/english/sergiler/guncel.php"target=_blank>Istanbul Sabançi Mueseum</a> to serve as a background in an exhibition about Mongolia, called "Genghis Khan and his Heirs", that will be on display from December 7 till April 8, 2007. The photo will serve as a background for a historical object from the time of Genghis Khan, and it will be printed on a huge size, 6 by 3 meters.
After changing their minds a couple of times, they have chosen this one <a href=" http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo529936.htm"target=_blank>this photo</a>, a photo that captures the emptiness of Mongolia so well. They have also chosen a photo of <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/members/France/"target=_blank>France Demarbaix</a>
One of the co-workers of the museum registered at TE to be able to get in touch with me about the conditions. And after some negotiating we agreed on a price that will pay me a trip to Istanbul and a hotel for a week. Of course I will go and see it myself, not in the least because Istanbul was very high on my wish list anyway.
This is the first money I make with photography, it's not my goal, but it feels great!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: I ‘leased’ a photo, thanks to TrekEarth

Wow! Congratulations, that's a great deal! The airfare and hotel deal sounds tremendous. Congrats and happy shooting!
sam
Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 PM
TE Expert

wow, this must be like an early christmas gift Rinie, so happy for you, not sure if you are more happy with your image being in such a museum, or the free trip to Turkey, as a package this is a fantatic news.
I wonder how the negotiations went, it must have started something like this:
museum worker: madam, I pay you one dollar
Rinie: I want to own a hotel and the airlines
museum worker: madam, I pay you 2 dollars
Rinie: a ticket and free hotel for a week will do
museum worker: done deal?

Somehow I am under impression Turkish like to bargain?
All the best dear.
Peter
Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 PM
TE Junior Member

hey Rinie, thats awesome.. airfare and hotel.. cool. this is the Christmas Gift.. congratulations !
Sandip
Old 12-14-2006, 01:17 AM
TE Expert

Thanks a lot, Sam, Peter and Sandip.
Oh, and Peter actually it was fairly easy (luckily, as I am not very good in bargaining). What I first hoped for, was a ticket. But I copied the price and conditions of another photographer (they send these conditions to me themselves), They offered less, and I asked more stating that I would completely prepare the picture, ready for printing. (After asking more, I had to go into a meeting, and I thought by myself: “oh, I’m being cheap, what they offer me is nice enough, once I come out of the meeting I will write them that I accept their offer”. You see, what a lousy bargainer I am?), but there was already a reply that they agreed.

I am both very happy with the fact that it is printed and hanging in a museum as well as with the paid trip ;-) I’m going to make a nice trip out of it, a couple of releatives and a friend will join me on this holiday;-)) And I hope to make beautiful photo’s so that the next country, let’s say New Zealand, will buy my pictures and pay fro the trip and the hotel, and so on, and so on…
Thanks again guys, I think every one dreams of such a thing once in a while, I guess.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 PM
TE Expert

This is great news, Rinie! Sincere congratulations. Enjoy your trip; Istanbul is an extraordinary city (if you manage to stay away from the common tourist paths).