Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2018-10-20 4:15

Hello Jean,

Wow! This is fascinating! I do believe I have seen one of these somewhere but I can't remember exactly where. I presume that this picture is from Eyam's "plague church" but I can't imagine that this squint was incorporated into the structure of the church during the time of plague as a plague epidemic occurs quickly and kills quickly - perhaps it's more likely to have been made as a "leper's window" so that those afflicted by leprosy could view the service or give confession through the opening. Leprosy, of course, runs a much longer, chronic course.

Whatever the reason or timescale, this is a remarkable photograph and you have taken it brilliantly! It is amazing that you have managed to have the distant view of the altar so sharp and clear and yet also have the near outside stonework in perfect focus too!

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. I've now just seen your workshop picture - also excellent - and read your additional note which, of course, verifies that this was, in fact, a leper's or lepers' window.

P.P.S. I couldn't resist doing a little research myself and discovered that another name for a squint is a "hagioscope" - and when a squint is made in an external, rather than an internal, wall, specifically for the exclusion of people such as those afflicted with leprosy, it is called a "lychnoscope".

Old 10-20-2018, 09:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: The squint

Thank you John for your very long and informative comment, I do appreciate the time that it must take you to write these 'mini' essays!
Obviously this particular squint is inside the church, looking in from a small side chapel.
Actually, I found it very difficult to see the altar from this angle.

I know that it is a long way from Scotland, but if you ever find yourself in Derbyshire, on the Sheffield side of the county, Eyam is SO worth a visit.
Thank you for your continued interest and comments.
Best wishes
Jean
Old 10-20-2018, 11:32 PM
TE Expert

Default Derbyshire......

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your reply! I'm afraid I have an obsessive nature and simply couldn't resist doing some quick research when I read about your "squints"!

Thank you for your recommendation to visit Derbyshire - strangely enough we did have a "mini" TE meeting in Buxton four years ago - a small number of us were there including Ann Jackman, Mike Wright, Will Perrett, Jasmine Wang, Bev Robinson - as well as Claude Simonin (CLODO) from Bordeaux - but we never ventured as far as Eyam. The farthest we ventured was to Tissington to experience the remarkable "well dressings" in absolutely appalling wet weather!

I am really pining now for another TE meeting as it is a couple of years at least since I was on one - any I have been to have been amazingly good fun and I have enjoyed them immensely. The photography might not have been terribly remarkable but the good company and general camaraderie certainly was!

Kind Regards,

John.