Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM
TE Expert

Default Need some glasses..

I think my screen at 1680 x 1050 is not so special today, in fact very standard.

With this new layout the standard script is so small that with standard browser adjustment it's almost not readable - but of course who cares.

Like who cares that having internet on the mobile was working OK in the old layout while the new variant is higly disturbing for a small screen.

No WAP variant of course.

I have enjoyed to follow this socalled test and beta launch. In the best TE spirit say and do what you like as a member - admin will do as they want - as always.

Have a fine day out there :-)

Jack
Old 05-25-2009, 01:57 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Need some glasses..

Possibly ( just possibly) the font thing in the new version is the single, biggest discomfort while surfing the site.
Have you noticed folks, the horizontal dividing lines in the FORUMS are as thick and possibly even darker than the fonts themselves (???).
Also: I think that the bigger/bolder font size in the old TE is ( again) the main reason why members are browsing the old site at much greater rates than the new one !
If not the upload feature being inactive in there - possibly there won't be any reason to browse the new site at all (?).
Still not convinced?
OK… Go to the new site and have a closer look at those commercial ads on the right side…
See the fonts in there ? Fat and juicy and catching the eye immediately !
And, now - quickly move your eyes to the left, to see the TE written content…

Quite a shock, huh ?

………………………………..

And, yes… TE's main attraction is the communicative part of it and that means WRITING and READING !!!

Go figure ?

Thanks, jrj

g
Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 PM

I've just viewed the forum with IE8 & Firefox and don't have a problem with font size. To the best of my knowledge I've done nothing to change from default settings on either browser and I'm viewing on a 22" monitor @1680 x 1050.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm also not happy with the font size. In some views the "y" is shown as "v" on my monitor.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

Using CTRL and the scroll on the mouse helps for the font size, but I also would much prefer a more adequate look of the fonts/presentation/etc...really tiring for the eyes...
Firefox with Ad-stop plugin gets rid of all ads.

(George, thanks for the note on the cats, it made me laugh :))).)
Old 05-25-2009, 02:34 PM
TE Expert

Dearest Keith,,,
Have you realized that by responding the way you just did - you made idiots out of those unaccountable members on TE who complain about the font size ?
The font size is the single, most repetitive problem brought to the forum about the new site ( from the very beginning of the story - while testing the Beta version of it).

Over and over and over again

Obviously - I'm not only blind, but also stupid idiot who still uses TOS !!!

You have no problem with the font size ?
Good... Very good, bro... Drop on your knees and thank God for making you a 20/20 superman !

Kisses and hugs
george
Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 PM
TE Expert

Michele and the rest...

I have no problems with the ads…
This site was created for the purpose of making money ( thanks almighty !) and, if - at the same time - we can share our masterpieces with the entire world - that's more reasons for thanking the guys who did it !!!
We are all doing well because of the daily business we conduct and the advertising IS the part of that business… End of story… ( always feel uncomfortable while reading complains about the advertising on the site. There ARE live people out there…Behind those ads… People with the family to feed… They are paying money to the other people who have the families to feed, and those also have the… OK…OK.. You got the point.
BTW: Through many, many years - the most progressive ( and most socially advanced) communist states had practically no commercial advertising whatsoever… The results were quite stunning - if I remember well? Nowadays - North Korea is the brightest sample of the modern, anti-commercial state for the most socially advanced )…

So, the ads are there to stay - I believe.

But, I have problems with the size of the fonts.
It's irritating and discomforting for the eyes. I get tired after about one minute of reading in there.

Therefore… I go back to the old version…
WOW !!! What a relaxing feeling…
You can sit and read those notes and stuff - forever.

You folks, you may answers to this tirade:
OK, smartass Georgie boy… Whatabout the Flickr ?
They have the small sizes in there as well ( no pun intended :-)))

Yes, they have… True…
And, guess what ? There is NO COMMUNICATION in there…
They killed it with these small fonts !
The text and the written word were substituted with some sorts of monster graphics or logos or whatever the hell you name those creatures crawling under the fotkas in there.
The longest critique on average has 3-4 words… That's all !

Good idea to follow, huh ?

…………………

You know what dudes?
I don't mind to have the ads about the 'Real Hermorphadite Photos at Great prices for sale" as long as I'm able to shrug my shoulders, sit comfortably in my cozy armchair ( real leather - mind you) and read and read those texts of yours ( including those in Ugro-Finnish and southern dialect of Mongolian) - as long as I can see it, on stinky sandals of Plutarch !!!!

AS LONG AS I CAN SEE IT !!!!

Have a good one, eh…

……………………………………………

" Hermorphadite Photos"… ???

:-)))))

…………………………………………………………
Old 05-25-2009, 03:53 PM

Sorry George :-(. I don't have 20/20 vision, in fact I have to wear varifocal glasses all the time. Despite that, I have the text in IE at 'smaller' and that in Firefox as whatever the default size is.
The fact that so many have commented should clearly indicate to the mods that there is a problem that requires investigation. Similarly, the fact that not everybody has a problem will hopefully prevent the mods simply changing to a larger font and creating new problems for others.
Is there any common link between those with problems? Version of browser, operating system etc? If we are going to get to the bottom of the problem we need to provide information to work with.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
TE Expert

True...
Increasing a pika or two the font size can create a lot of problems for some other users.
We don't want to make them unhappy - do we, Keith ?

?????

Old 05-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

George, I understand the need for ads. I just don't want to see them ! :).