Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: I HATE HDR

Henk,
You were more effective saying in a dozen lines what I wanted to say than I was with a hundred lines! :-)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello,
What complaining about hdr?; I would not. Personnaly I use it a few and honestly only once with some success (I like to think so :)!). I like some HDR creating dramatic sky. I do'nt like some other.
In fact hdr is just a technic applied to a picture.
There is no "natural picture". raw picture is adjusted when uploaded in photoshop or whatever tool. In fact there is no way to say that your picture is more representative of reallity than any other one assuming than digital system always introduce pixel processing. Even argentic picture could be considered as "processed" link to choice of film (often bringing a dominant colour). But more than this the chimical development also introduce processing.
This to show than "untouched" picture does not exist. After what's the point?. by using different pp technics everyone try to introduce it's own perception of what he can feel looking at a scene.
Just let things go and they will equilibrate ??.
Tos purpose is learning through photography that implies photography processing. meaning you can learn through the subject but also from how it is managed, processed .... presented ...
please just let people free to present different point of view.
get rid of constraining rules.
About art : I would not give any definition (not able to do so). Important is exchange , learning, feeling emotions when looking at a picture (or whatever).
Please forgive poor english!.
Jmarc
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 AM
TE Junior Member

Nicely said, Henk.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:41 PM
TE Expert

How about engage in creativity - and not tech...

I think creativity is more essential than the use of HDR which is in simple a "filter" ..as any other filter..

.. and a statement that HDR is a "must" to win a photo constest is probably to overdue..

..and when did the TOS ever function??? ;-)
Old 07-12-2009, 08:32 AM
TE Expert

I agree with Henk - we had so many discussions about that!! Anyway I see HDR used often in a way I don´t like, for example in subjects, pla. ces, that i know well: through HDR I see such places really changed, not similar with my own view. For example I saw Rome in Scotland atmosphera. But this was contrasting with MY view of Rome, with MY idea of Rome (and of Scotland....!). Everybody can share his own way of seeing, and we can learn, but also sometimes disagree.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
TE Junior Member

It is not HDR what you do not like, it is the way people do not know to handle this tool and especially the TONEMAPPING of it.
I do not like it also, when pseudo-want-to-be-good-photographers write a title like "HDR blablaba".

And I also have been asked several times, wow, this is hdr right, when I just tone mapped the photo. Nothing to do with HDR!
You see, people do not know what HDR really means (exceptions of course do) and especially they do not know what it is nice for.

So I guess you mean the pseudoeffect some people create, which you do not like; I do neither.
But it is as always in life: dump people reply what they got for eat.

And real HDR by itself is great, especially for nightshots, where the contrast between light and dark areas are so immense, that the camera can not handle it.

So, I agree with you, I hate (I do not like is better) people saying HDR and meaning tonemapping or people using wrong measures for HDR and creating a crap of a photo.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM
TE Junior Member

Like any other post post-production tools, they can help to make great pictures, but if you exagerate, they can make cartoon shots.
It is not true that HDR is a must to win competitions etc.
Just take magazines like National Geographic, or similar: any picture has some post-production in it (it is a must with digital photography), but you will never see pictures where post-production is so evident that it is the first thing that you note.
Regards Stefano