Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 03:10 PM
TE Expert

Default Violation of the TE TOS

Recently I've received this automated email from TE:

Hi Robert Janovski,
This is an automated email informing you of the following:
Your photo titled, "Black Devil" (photo723536.htm) seems to violate the TrekEarth terms of service and therefore has been inactivated. The reason is: Inclusion of family, friends or pets. If the reason stated above is incorrect, please go to the following page to write an explanation and it will be researched further and possibly restored. Otherwise the photo will be removed after 1 week:
http://www.trekearth.com/tasks/pub...
Please see http://www.trekearth.com/terms.php for the TrekEarth terms of service. Thank you in advance for your understanding. Please take a look at http://www.treklens.com as your photo may be more suitable to this general photo sharing site.
Regards,
TrekEarth

Well, dear TE!
Just to let you know that I couldn't care less about your actions anymore! Thank you for removing the 'Black Devil' after it's been in my gallery for about 2 years - as this proves how efficient your moderators are.
All in all I haven't been active for a long time here as because the community stopped being healthy as it was about 4-5 years ago when I first joined. Many good photographers left since then, only because of TE politics. I was about to leave, too, but was hoping maybe one day things will change - I've waitied for a long time and now see nothing has changed!
Soon I'll be removing my account and removing all my photos - only to make sure you don't make money on them anymore (yes, that will be the only reason!).
Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Violation of the TE TOS

http://sites.google.com/site/thelittlegreenpill/
Old 09-03-2009, 03:53 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for that link Bobflips.
(I will hurry to put it at my page te inside>> before some mod removes your account)

To Robert: Take care. Soon enough the mods - who mainly are common members - have provoked all good photog to delete their work from TE - so they can be alone living their happy lives where the only photos left at TE is posted by the mods... hahahaha what a life..

Jack
Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 PM

If members think that just because they have been members for a long time they are above the rules then maybe the site will be better off without them. From what I read in the OP the e-mail only says that the image MAY be in breach of the TOS and asks the photographer for any additional information which may counter that opinion. If the 'tog is too self important to respond they really only have themself to blame if the image stays deleted.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM
TE Newbie

If members think that just because they have been members for a long time they are above the rules then maybe the site will be better off without them. From what I read in the OP the e-mail only says that the image MAY be in breach of the TOS and asks the photographer for any additional information which may counter that opinion. If the 'tog is too self important to respond they really only have themself to blame if the image stays deleted.

I'm just quoting to emphasize how much I'm in agreeance with the previous poster. I am coming to a better understanding of why I am almost never in this general forum, full of "I prefer the old TE" and "they deleted my photo" threads with zillions of answers. Let's concentrate on photography!

Cheers, if you can!
Olivier
Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
TE Expert

Keith,

The length of my membership is not an issue here. If you didn't have ME in mind while writing this, then I don't know what was the purpose of your replying to my thread.

The important fact here is the length of time the removed photo was on display and no one ever questioned it during that time.

But as I previously said, I'm not bothered anymore and am not going into any discussions about it. Not only that my not responding to the removal has nothing to do with my alleged self-importance but I also feel I have no reasons to blame myself for anything.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
TE Expert

Your opinion and obesrvation is in place, Olivier! And I can understand your not being interested in participating in forum that is full of posts regarding the so called 'Old TE'.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:58 AM
TE Junior Member

I do agree with Keith in this matter. I think we all need to abide by the TOS as we are allowed to post for free. Even in sites where people pay to post they still have to respect their TOS.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
TE Newbie

Me again, or at least the masochist in me (see my previous post above)!

Quote:
The important fact here is the length of time the removed photo was on display and no one ever questioned it during that time.

I haven't seen the actual problematic image, but let's assume that it was indeed a violation of the famed ToS: the two years here IMHO just show the main weakness of TE, i.e. it is understaffed. So the rare mods can simply not look at every image, which is even more difficult to do because of the organisation of the site. If we had forums organized by subject matters, it would be easy to see the new ones as they would pile, last uploaded first, and the "tall daisies" would be nicely beheaded. But here, none of that, just a "by country - town - etc." classification... difficult to imagine anyone looking at the rapid rythm of new images landing in for Europe, for example! And to cut down to smaller zones would mean organizing it another way, with a way to select, for a mod, all pictures uploaded for, say, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia... without more mods, it will not happen!

Cheers again!
Olivier
Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 PM

Sorry if you thought I was referring directly to yourself Robert, that wasn't the intention. It was a general observation.

A couple more general observations -

1. I don't see what the timespan an image has been on the site has to do with whether or not it is outside the TOS of the site. I think most of us are aware that in most instances an image is only removed if it is brought to the attention of the mods, so the assumption must surely be that that is what happened in this instance.
2. I agree that the site could do with more mods, all working to a standard code of practice, in order to (a) ensure that all images are treated equally and (b) get TE back to the sort of site is was a few years ago.