Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-23-2006, 02:35 AM
TE Junior Member

Default The celtic Ireland

Hi!
I want to plan some holidays on Ireland to discover the celtic tradicions. Can anyone help me with good tips for the best places to visit and stay?

Thanks
Aida
Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: The celtic Ireland

Hmmm....Galway City, Aran Islands & Clifden. Then Co. Clare for Doolin/Cliffs Of Moher.

They're all typical tourist places though, Dublin is worth spending a couple of days in but I'd definitely say the west coast is better for the more 'traditional' element. Cork & Kerry have a lot of attractions too & then further north you've got Donegal as well. It depends on how long you've got, getting from Dublin to the rest of the country is easy but unless you're driving it can be tough to get along the west coast by public transport (not impossible, just slow!).
Old 06-07-2006, 03:28 PM
TE Junior Member

Aida,
To me the Aran Islands is a definite must visit. Else all counties have their interest, Cork, Kerry, Galway, Donegal are great for scenary, and the nightlife has something to offer in all places.
My advice: buy a good guide book and give yourself time to read through it. Also browse Ireland's photos in TE for ideas.

Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:53 AM
TE Senior Member

This is an interesting question Aida. But, I see you specifically request information on Celtic culture, rather than scenery etc. One place you should visit then, is Glendalough, in the Wicklow Mountains, where there are some lovely 6th century Celtic buildings. The Hill of Tara is also a must. There is a magnificent Celtic tower attached to the medievil Catherdal at Kilkenny too (A lovely old town!). The book of Kells, in Trinity College is one of the most important Celtic relics too. There are many very early Celtic crosses all over Ireland. But I haven't live in Ireland for many years. The suggestion to consult a guide book or two, is a good one. I must say I would love to make a similar trip and review what Celtic remains there are there.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 AM
TE Junior Member

You should also make sure to visit the National History Museum on Kildare St, Dublin. This has some beautiful historic works in there from celtic times, through monastic times to the modern time. Well worth a visit, and it's free.

You should also check www.visitireland.com and www.visitdublin.com The VisitDublin site has some interesting podcast walking tours of Dublin. I've found them very informative, even as a local.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM
TE Newbie

All the suggestions are good. Seen off season the western coast is the best, though it's hard to find 'celtic traditions' alive today, but rather ruins or monuments. In western ireland and on the aran in particular, though, gaelic is the first language. And if you are lucky enough, you can hear 'a cappella' songs in gaelic sang in the pubs of the islands. I strongly reccomend visiting Inisheere, the smallest one.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
TE Senior Member

I will second Kevin's recommendation on Glendalough. It's easily accessible from Dublin by public bus and the place itself is one of the most beautiful and best preserved Celtic sites in Ireland. The place is also terrific for shooting landscapes. There are the mountains and a lake in front of them. Just beautiful. I really miss it. Another not to be missed location is the Rock of Cashel in Tipperary. Check TE to see what you can find there...
Old 10-28-2007, 09:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Go to the western parts of the country: Galway, ring of Kerry, look for gaeltacht there - the regions, where the people still speak Gaelic.