Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 PM
TE Newbie

Default points

Can someone please explain how are points awarded and what are the stars?

Thank you.

Irena
Old 05-17-2009, 12:37 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: points

Hello Irena,
I suggest that you read the FAQ page.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Irena, welcome.
It is as well to remember that points do not have a great deal of relationship to the quality of photos more to do with your activity on the site. The system of critiques and comments seems to me to be a silly one. There are some excellent photographers on the site and much to learn from them. Enjoy the community and the pictures but do not get stressed about points.
Mike
Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
TE Newbie

Thank you both for explaining the system of points, specially that it's a measure of quantity more than quality.

Another basic-level question: Why do people upload lots of pictures on this site? What do they accomplish with it? Do they do it to share with the world, to get recognition in the TE community, to use this site as a showcase of their photos for other purposes? What are some other purposes for doing it?

Thanks and I apologize for asking what probably looks obvious.

Irena
Old 05-17-2009, 07:20 PM
TE Expert

Just for fun.For points. Because it's addictive.To "meet" people from from all parts of the world.To learn.To pick up on the enthusiasm of others.To learn about the world and its beautiful places and people. To admire the work of some top class photographers.....
Bev
Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Irena,

The original aim of the site was to gather pictures from around the world and to provide a forum for critiquing images. That is still hopefully the underlying desire, and is part of the reason that posting images is limited to 1 per person per day. It is also the reason for restricting the number of critiques (with points) that can be submitted each day. There used to be quite a large number of almost private groups giving points to each others images just for the perceived kudos of getting high scores for their work - irrespective of their photographic or informational value.
That's why previous comments about not getting 'hung up' on the points aspect of the site were made. It's far better to give and receive a low number of considered critiques, than dozens of 'nice shot' comments each accompanied by points.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:24 AM
TE Expert

TE points have two meanings :

it hopes to addict you seaking attention by feeding your greed for the illusion to be a good photographer
and
it is the 'golden click' rewarded by publicity to the site owner

no other meaning,
you're supposed to feel stimulated to click here as much as possible.

be aware that all other things are more useful on TE then points creating too often trouble like an insidious disease,
avoid to get infected.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:48 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you for the advice. I'll try to avoid contamination. Although I notice that you were not that lucky.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:52 AM
TE Senior Member

Touché..! ;o))
Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 AM
TE Expert

hi Irena

Thank you both for explaining the system of points, specially that it's a measure of quantity more than quality.

1. It will be interesting to find out why and how did you award your smiley points from critiques given starting on 2009-5-7?

2. if you dislike the points system, you may opt to switch off this option in your profile

Another basic-level question: Why do people upload lots of pictures on this site? What do they accomplish with it? Do they do it to share with the world, to get recognition in the TE community, to use this site as a showcase of their photos for other purposes? What are some other purposes for doing it?

3. What is your reason to post photos on TE? [no intro is given yet]
4. what makes you join TE? Why did you sign up?

I keenly await your reasons and answers.

Cheers