Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Needs Improvement paprika-jancsi 2006-09-16 22:51

Hi Michelle, Digi-Mom!
Looks like you've done many shots downtown Toronto.
I never thought T.O was photogenic and you really prove the case.
Looks like TE members are hungry for these shots.
18 points for this blurry, unimaginative picture?
Sorry, but No! But I forgive you nevertheless because you gave me a point. Best regards,
Janos

Old 09-22-2006, 07:01 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To lumpycat: it's about friends

I have points because I made some friends at TE. This isn't just a photo site, but a place to meet and exchange stories, photos and techniques. Most of the critiques and comments I've received are from friends, no doubt, and not because of the photogenic material. I'm sorry for you though, because you will not make any friends with this kind of comment. Collegues, maybe, but gosh, they're boring.

By the way, I hate Toronto and all the big cities, too - tres ugly! But if I have to live here, I might as well find something interesting. Be Pollyanna, and look for the good. Remember that to see the beauty in things you have to carry it with you, or you'll never see anything beautiful.

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To lumpycat: it's about friends

Sorry, dear Michelle, to get back to you so late.I am deeply sorry if I offended you.
Maybe it is about making friends, but we must not ignore the quality of the photography. You are very good, of course, but this picture is not, unless you want to tell us how much you hate T.O.
If you read my crits you will find that I have given many complimentary ones and also have some friends, maybe not as many as you.
I have also photographed T.O extensively and I don't think it is ugly, most of these are on treklens because of PP and many have been exhibited already in downtown galleries and will be exhibited again soon.
If you give me your email I will send you an invitation. the next one starts Nov 27 and features many Toronto shots.
Hope you get back to me, sincerely, Janos
Old 11-17-2006, 03:52 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Janos. You didn't offend me as much as made me concerned for you. I figured you were just another one of those people that just wanted to complain about those dreaded TE "points" and picked me to vent on. I actually went a very long time with the points feature at TE turned off, because to me, that wasn't what was important. Sometimes people do get a lot of points for awuful pictures - though I must say, I really didn't think this one was so awful, or I wouldn't have posted it, eh? All in the eye of the beholder. Nowadays, I am just not so involved with TE or even my photography hobby. It's partly that "eye of the beholder" stuff, I think. What is beautiful to one, is just touched up computer jazz to another, and someone else prefers blurry black and white street shots. That's why I added the quote I did to my page - because we each have to carry our own idea of beautiful with us. I admit that your critique confused me a little, but I'm not offended, and I had stopped being active with TE and photography long before that. Just trying to see with my eyes and hold the memories that will stay in my mind as I live one day at a time, not trying to hold on to anything much in this ever changing world, even on paper. Too much to enjoy. We drove through a new part of TO today, as a matter of fact, on the way to pick up my PR card, and saw lots of beauties in this big city, even on a cloudy day. But I didn't carry my camera, and didn't even miss it till I was back on the Gardener heading home. But that's me. I do hope your exhibition goes well for you, and that you receive every joy possible from this great hobby. Take care, and see your many blessings,
Michelle
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks Michelle for this very kind letter, but why on earth did you stop being active in photography?
I hate myself if I in any way discouraged you by this one remark. You are very good as I said before.
And don't believe that 'beholder stuff'. It's a fallacy. How could great art have survived it that was true. How could good design survive?
Everyone has his/her own opinion, specially here in N.America where there is so much free speech, rugged individuality and people have such bloated opinions of themselves.
No amount of loud mouthing can replace genuine talent and sensitivity. Best regards again, Janos
Old 11-17-2006, 11:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi again, Janos. I thank you for your concern, but as I said in the other reply, I just have so many other places to go, things to see and do, that I don't take the time to stop and capture it with the camera much anymore. I realize that everyone will hold what they feel is beautiful in their own hearts, and sometimes that can be shared. I had fun with the hobby, but I realized that I was spending too much time capturing and editing and critiquing photos, and not enough time living and experiencing. This was a decision for me, and not due to any one on TE, especially not you, since I hadn't even met you yet. You are a kind and tender soul, and I appreciate your concern. I realize that my response was probably more offensive to you than yours to me; but that is what makes great artists, that sensitivity to people and details, and why you are probably more particular than I am about this hobby. I thank you again for your kind comments regarding my photos, and your concern for me - a stranger you haven't met. I suppose that the most we even share in common is TO and TE! :D But we do share some kind of kindred spirit, or we wouldn't have written so much to clarify things, eh? hehe I do wish you well in all your future endevours, and I trust that you will have much more joy and peace in this your chosen hobby. Here's wishing for bluer skies and less rain around the GTA - at least for a while. City photos are much better with a blue background than dark gray, don't you think. ;) Take care, always, Michelle