Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-29-2006, 11:41 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Java, and sorting out locations in Indonesia

I read today that the recent earthquake on Indonesia's island of Java badly damaged the famous Prambanan temple complex, http://dsc.discovery.com/news/ap/20060529/prambanan_arc.html , which had been recognized as a U.N. World Heritage Site. On top of the huge loss of human life, a small thing to mention also the loss of heritage.

Now for an even smaller thing: the many beautiful photos of the mentioned site here on TE are entered/ listed/ categorized under several different locations. Since I use TE to show me more personal photos of the places and people that I read about in the news, it is always disappointing to find a location on the earth entered in various places on TrekEarth. I know that this is usually due to those photographers visiting the areas, who may not be familiar with the proper place names when they upload their photos to TE.

Please, could someone sort out the place names for the areas affected recently?

My heart goes out to those affected...

Michelle, aka digi-mom
Old 05-29-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Java, and sorting out locations in Indonesia

Michelle,

I agree that the problem with location is generally down to the person who posts the picture not being completely certain about precise location. That being the case, who is going to be able to identify a specific picture as having the wrong location information?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:29 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Java, and sorting out locations in Indonesia

I agree it's a real problem to find the place right mentionned on TE. Personnally, I try always to find the place on a map before posting but for Indonesia is really difficult. Althought, there is this website which help me but for Prambanan, I hesitated to put it in yogyakarta District or Jawa Tengah even with the help of this website: http://www.indonesia-tourism.com/

Anyway, my heart is now espacially for the victims and all the people without house.

Fred