Useful notes or ignored notes - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Useful notes or ignored notes

Hi everyone,

It might sound like a big concern or a very personal tragedy, but I'm just curious to know about your opinions.

I usually try to come up with interesting notes to complement my photos, whether by telling the story behind the shot or by making a research on the net. I try to make it brief, maybe 6 or 7 lines at most, sometimes longer if I find something that I judge more interesting for the community.

I rarely copy an integral text in Wikipedia (but it do happen), and I prefer to create a mix of different sources and try to come up with a mix and match that make sense and add a personal angle or some humour when possible. To tell you the truth, I am not as fluent as I would like to be in English and sometimes I work my ass off to write properly and to come up with an appropriate note.

So my point is that I have realized that most of the time, I might have 3 or 4 persons at most pushing the "useful" button. Now, I really don't care about this feature, as it is purely to support the image and nobody is evaluated anyone for its writing skill or research.

But does it really worth it to write a note or do people just look at the image and keep on to the next? Is it still a valuable feature or are we getting used to see the same destinations over and over again, and therefore, we already know about places and don't really care for notes?

Just be honest and let me know what you think. Do members read notes, does it still worth it to write them or should we simply do a quick paste and copy.

Personally, I always click on others useful notes, when it's the case.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:26 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Useful notes or ignored notes

By the way, I've made my point from a personal stand point, but I do realize that most of the members are in the same situation and do not receive points even when it's clear that he has made an effort to come up with something interesting.

So this thread wasn't about me, but rather about the utility of this feature.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:28 PM
TE Junior Member

Personally, I think that the notes is one of the main things that make TE so unique (apart from the green faces, of course, which I by the way see as an excellent psychological experiment;)) , so I always mark the notes useful if they are interesting to me, in one way or another. I don't see anything wrong in using wikipedia, but it rarely makes sense to copy/paste an entire article, nobody will ever read such a note even if they mark it useful. "Personal" notes are always better of course, but I don't always have time to write big notes, as English isn't my mother tongue as well...
Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 PM
TE Expert

Hello,
I also think, that the possibility of writing notes, concerning the photographs, and of establishing links is one of the TE interesting characteristics.
I also think that information is not only on wikipédia.
It is a pleasure of proposing a photograph, it is also a pleasure of presenting it, so that the visitors, who all are not photographers nor travellers, can if they are interested, locate in space and time the subject of the photograph.
The TE photographs, of which the announced goal is to make known the world, require a minimum of a little credible explanations most of the time. Everyone does not have the possibility of proposing sites very known like Taj Mahal.
Perhaps that the artistic photographs of master photographs, as I could read it, can be proposed without text, but I am not convinced by it.

Bonjour,
Je pense aussi, que la possibilité de rédiger des notes, concernant les photos, et de faire des liens est une des caractèristiques intéressantes de TE.
Je pense aussi que les informations ne sont pas seulement sur wikipédia.
C'est un plaisir de proposer une photo, c'est aussi un plaisir de la présenter, pour que les visiteurs, qui ne sont pas tous des photographes ni des voyageurs, puissent s'ils sont intéressés, situer dans l'espace et dans le temps le sujet de la photo.
Les photos de TE, dont le but annoncé est de faire connaître le monde, nécessitent la plupart du temps un minimum d'explications un peu crédibles. Tout le monde n'a pas la possibilité de proposer des sites très connus comme le Taj Mahal.
Peut-être que les photos artistiques des maîtres photographes, comme j'ai pu le lire, peuvent être proposées sans texte, mais je n'en suis pas convaincu.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM
TE Senior Member

I also find the notes very useful, and I have actually learned a lot from reading many of them. For me, the motto "learning about the world" is just as important as improving my photographic skills.

I always acknowledge notes that I find useful, even when I am not critiquing the photo. That being said, it is not possible with time constraints to look at every photo and read every note, so unfortunately some useful notes will be overlooked.

For those of you taking the time to write something: thanks for the notes!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM
TE Expert

Location: I live in Pessac, city surburb of Bordeaux - France

Hi everybody!
For me the note is mandatory to explain the story which is behind the picture, or explain the technics used. I copy them sometimes from internet, but in this case I add the link.
So I read them and click on "interesting" button when I find they are in relationship with the subject of the picture
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
TE Expert

Cool!! At least, there's already 4 or 5 people who read read notes... :-)

My intervention was not only about the purpose of writing notes, but if people do read them, does the "useful and "neutral" options are really useful if people don't select any.

I also acknowledge and recognize that the names appearing on this thread so far are familiar and you do push the "useful" button... :-P)

I also make efforts to create titles from time to time, but recently, I received this very funny comment from an obvious cuckoo:

"I really enjoy your landscapes, full of color and form.... however, the cute naming detracts from the image itself and to me skews/lessens the viewer's internal response."

The title of the shot was "No place to hide" and it was describing an image from a round barn, where a legend was mentioning that it was build like this, to avoid the devil hiding somewhere. So the title wasn't funny, but rather descriptive.

The same guy call his shots very creatively like "Paris", "Paris, France" and "Moscow". Like if it wasn't already obvious when looking at the country on top of the photo...

So this cuckoo who can't concentrate himself enough to look at an image without being distract by a title, made me think that maybe, trying to come up with titles and notes was pointless.

Maybe we should all call our photos "Paris" and "Moscow", make a quick "Paste and copy" from Wikipedia and don't bother with the effort to be creative with words as well as our images.

But I can see that for some members, the effort is appreciated.

Thanks!

André
Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 PM
TE Expert

From my side I would have prefered to hase the 'useful' button on the forum threads :-)

Ok, I answer seriously now. I think mainly people thinks the photo is enough by itself, having of the meaning inside. Sometimes it is true, but main of the time it is the opposite.
The note is one of the interest of TE, providing the possibility to either explain a scene or to propose an other way of reading, or to share skills. Shoting is as much or more important than post processing. The note allows to share this.

Now, am I always reading the note: no. Sometimes it is too long or simply not interesting. But for some TE members I read carefully as I appreciate a lot. Do I push the 'useful' butotn all the time: no but main of the time.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
TE Senior Member

I always thought that posting a photo on TE is a presentation that consists of three elements - title, note, and the photo itself. of course, on some occasions I have very descriptive titles, but I always try to come up with something catching and punchy, and use description only when I fail, lol.
notes are a must as far as I'm concerned. lack of note on many occasions (please not my careful choice of words, lol, I realise sometimes it's just a matter of language barrier) feels arrogant, as if the image was revealed to the earthlings by some deity whose actions did to require any explanation and should be always admired. having said that, I find it almost offensive when I read the note and see that the "author" hasn't even bothered to clean up the references to footnotes that fill his copy of whatever wikipedia has to say on this subject.

K.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
TE Junior Member

...and have you ever noticed another "use" of the "useful" button below the notes, that certain members use? ;))

Sometimes, when somebody wants to draw your attention to his gallery, he marks your note useful but doesn't leave a critique! Then (I have checked it, just for fun), if you go and critique his shot, he immediately returns to yours and leaves a critique!

I had it on several occasions, honestly...

On the other "note", I always leave a note with my images, be it short or long. Of course, it is true that photography is a visual art and doesn't always need verbalization. But the thing is that TE is not only about photography...

Having said this, an absense of a note will not stop me from leaving a critique on somebody else's shot, if I really like it.