Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:55 AM
TE Expert

First, Happy New Year!! Let's hope the problems will be somehow solved!

Wow, how fortunate I am. Three mods are discussing with me, and who I am? But I appreciate it very much. Thanks. And Andrew understood what I meant perfectly. I was sarcastic and ironic. But I care (still) for this site, I don't want to be aggresive.
I am thinking about some arguments for my POV but New Year's morning is a bit hard for this. So at the moment some numbers - I am physicist, so I like numbers and am looking for the logical explanation of observed facts.
New members - maybe here is the point. Mods (or IB) POV - there are a lot of new members, no reason to worry. My POV - in December came 768 new registered members (25 pages times 30 plus 18). All of them in one month posted 373 photos and 422 critics. Most of them have no photos, no critics. Why do they register ? I noticed only a few persons that could be active membersin future but I haven't see their photos, just they posted something and commented.

About senior members - later.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Tos

Dear All,

I think we´re losing a bit track of the original problem that lead to this discussion and to Jan´s regretable decision to leave TE.

Let´s go back to where it all started from: Jan complained that he had posted a photo im memory of the aniversary of the death of a Polish TE member, who I think has been a friend of some other Polish TE members. And this photo has been deleted because it seems to have violated the TOS.

I have not seen this photo, so I can´t say whether it did or did not violate the TOS. The problem is that in a case like that this shouldn´t matter. It was thought as a moment of silence and memory for the dead TE-member. TOS or not TOS, a photo like this must not be deleted. Deleting it reveals a lack of respect, and for me a lack of education and culture. Deleting it leaves the ugly taste that the TOS are more important than the memories of a dead. It´s as simple - and as sad - as that.

Johannes
Old 01-01-2011, 03:47 PM
TE Expert

I wrote about general problems in TE because I didn't want to be pathetic and Porteplume close the discussion. But many people read this tread so I will explain the situation and why I am personally so emotionally involved in it. Marek Nowak aka Gustaw was an active TE-member. He posted more than 700 hundreds photos, more than 14 thousands critics. His last post was on 19th December 2008 and last critic with workshop for the new young member was on 20th Dec. He was also a favorite of 45 members. His death one week later, just before New Year was a hard blow to all those who knew him. he was only 43 years old. Jan jasmis knew him from TE and they became friends also in real world. Jan was also seriously ill, almost on the other side, but was more lucky. In his illness had a great support from other TE friends. Who knows, maybe they saved his life. Now after two years we still remember Marek. In Polish culture we pay respect for those who are no more with us. The candle light is just a symbol of it. In All Saints day you see the sea of lights, also in the day of anniversary or name day of the person the family and friends pay respect lighting a candle. After the tragedy in Poland in April the people went many hours from other cities and from ,abroad just to light a candle near Presidential Palace. So, Jan did the same thing. After two years of the death of our friend he just lit the candle - in the form of photo. With a clear message understandable for many people, but not by mod. To show us that he still remembers. No points please. Any candle is a symbol, ordinary candle or not. All parts of this photo had symbolic meaning. And it teaches about our culture, our nation as well as the view of the castle or the Tatra mountains. It violated no feelings, no rules. If it happened to me I would do the same thing -I would leave TE.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:19 PM
TE Expert

Cool

Hmm.
I am not a moderator but I do see moderators' point.
Has anybody seen the photo by jasmis?
I did see it on Facebook recently.
Please have a look at it, and may be you will understand the reasons for removing it? You don't have to think long to catch their reasoning. There is no controversy at all. The only reason to keep the picture is that the photographer is a senior member and that the intention was a sensitive issue. Is it enough?

As it so happens I deeply regret that so many great friends left the forum and directly or not the moderators are "responsible" for that. But before judging I would like to know by myself what were the real reasons. Some of the stories are hard to follow, I just know that somebody was banned and in protest somebody else left. In case of jasmis the case is simple. We cannot just say that moderators are arrogant and they do not respect members. This is not fair.

We in Poland have the tendency to accuse easily "them" meaning an evil force which is out there to kill our fun. At the same time we refrain from taking any responsibility.
Of course the web page is meant for fun. But every fun has to have some boundaries. Otherwise it becomes a mess. For example, once I considered leaving the forum because there are here too many people who are posting all kind of crap. And I know people who left for that exact reason. So I am glad moderators do something about it now.

The number of uploads really does not mean anything as the quality of uploads. You cannot use both arguments at the same time as they are contradictory.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Would've made it right..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post
In Polish culture we pay respect for those who are no more with us. The candle light is just a symbol of it. In All Saints day you see the sea of lights, also in the day of anniversary or name day of the person the family and friends pay respect lighting a candle. After the tragedy in Poland in April the people went many hours from other cities and from ,abroad just to light a candle near Presidential Palace.
It's too bad that these words didn't accompany the photo, as that would've taught us (at least me) something about Polish traditions. And together with an impressive and solemn photo, this would've meant a respect to Gustaw as well as being in accordance with the aim of TrekEarth.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Jan's image

Hi all and happy new year,
I saw Jan's photo, and I commented on it. I think it was a beautiful and sensitive moment, and I felt for Jan, and the other members, who knew Marek Nowak.
I think the image should be restored, as for me, the TOS are less important than the tribute. Many members took time to comment and view this image, and for me, it led me to Marek Nowak's fantastic gallery, where I learnt alot.
There are rules I understand, I work in legislation, but even in government, there are exceptions, and to me, simply removing an image beacuase it is a simply a candle is not right. The context is most important here, this image led members, such as myself who did not know Marek Nowak, to his gallery, this , as well as the tribute , played an important role in the validity of this site.
I always try to stick to the rules, and I can understand sometimes I may bend them to post here, but this case...well, in my opinion, what is more important? - The rules of TOS and "learning about the world" or the death of a man who gave so much time and effort to this site.
I ask the image be restored, simply out of respect for a human life, the feelings of those who knew him , and for the benfit of new members to be led to these great galleries.
This is to respect not only Marek, but all those members who gave vast amounts of their time and efforts here, who are assets to TE, who deserve, in a time like this, to be seen above some 'rules'.
Best wishes to all,
Justin
Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
TE Senior Member

Thumbs up No better said!

Mariusz could not have better said what I think it's right!
I'm amazed by how more organized people (at least that's what I think and suppose) are so hurt by rules!
All for now,
Cheers and happy 2011!

Last edited by npecanhuk; 01-02-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: correcting the verb tense
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM
TE Expert

I said:
Oh no, I will not be a nark, the cases are often quite obvious (flowers, close ups, family members) but it is not my task.

But I will be: delete the photo http://beta.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=5&p=1196227
it is obviously against ToS (pets, selfportrait, close-up).

(I didn't meant it, I just liked the scene but rules should be obeyed!)
Old 01-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post
I said:
Oh no, I will not be a nark, the cases are often quite obvious (flowers, close ups, family members) but it is not my task.

But I will be: delete the photo http://beta.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=5&p=1196227
it is obviously against ToS (pets, selfportrait, close-up).

(I didn't meant it, I just liked the scene but rules should be obeyed!)
Just because it has a pet in the image doesn't automatically mean it breaks the TOS. This one was actually discussed by the mods when it was posted and it was decided it should stay. The cat, although being an important element of the image, is only one part of the composition. Inclusion of the surroundings etc made it at worst borderline, and in such cases we will generally decide in favour of leaving it in the gallery. It's also a bit late to remove as it has been on the site for several months. Thank you for bringing it to our attention all the same.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM
TE Expert

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzo View Post
Hi all and happy new year,
I saw Jan's photo, and I commented on it. I think it was a beautiful and sensitive moment, and I felt for Jan, and the other members, who knew Marek Nowak.
I think the image should be restored, as for me, the TOS are less important than the tribute. Many members took time to comment and view this image, and for me, it led me to Marek Nowak's fantastic gallery, where I learnt alot.
There are rules I understand, I work in legislation, but even in government, there are exceptions, and to me, simply removing an image beacuase it is a simply a candle is not right. The context is most important here, this image led members, such as myself who did not know Marek Nowak, to his gallery, this , as well as the tribute , played an important role in the validity of this site.
I always try to stick to the rules, and I can understand sometimes I may bend them to post here, but this case...well, in my opinion, what is more important? - The rules of TOS and "learning about the world" or the death of a man who gave so much time and effort to this site.
I ask the image be restored, simply out of respect for a human life, the feelings of those who knew him , and for the benfit of new members to be led to these great galleries.
This is to respect not only Marek, but all those members who gave vast amounts of their time and efforts here, who are assets to TE, who deserve, in a time like this, to be seen above some 'rules'.
Best wishes to all,
Justin
I fully agree with this.

"The only reason to keep the picture is that the photographer is a senior member and that the intention was a sensitive issue. Is it enough?"

Yes, sometimes the heart has to win. Laws are not made to be broken, but a good judge interprets. That is called wisdom. The removal of Jan's picture was a bad mistake.

I'm very sad.

Benny

Last edited by BennyV; 01-02-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Closed Thread