Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great maloutim 2017-12-12 23:13

Good morning Mariusz,
This is a magnificent church indeed, and you caught it perfectly, with great management of light, colours, sharpness, composition ! The sky is a credit to your photo too !
However, I agree with your first thoughts about building such palaces to the detriment of people's welfare.
True, it happened in the past, and it left us with magnificent heritage, once built for the glory of dictators. Now they have usually come back to the public in the form of museums.
However, as we are supposed to learn democracy nowadays, I think there should be better ways to spend the money !
I've read your discussion with Emka. Religious tourism ? Well, it certainly wasn't Christ's ways !! And I have become wary of religious dictatorial ways... Another kind of ecotourism could be developed, for example.
Anyway, thanks for generating this discussion.
Kindest regards.
Marie-Louise.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:21 AM
TE Expert

Default To maloutim: surprising Jesus words

I will give you some reading from the Bible:

Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:07 AM
TE Expert

Thank you for your reply Mariusz ! Mary Magdalene used some expensive ointment for Christ, but she was poor herself or at least from an under-privileged background. That's why her gesture was considered as very generous ; Like a lot of underprivileged who are more generous than the rich...
I still have an issue with the last sentence of the quote. I don't think the Gospel should be taken as a pretext for lavish demonstrations of riches.
Thanks for the discussion.
No hard feelings :-)
Old 12-17-2017, 07:59 AM
TE Expert

Yes: that is why I selected this citation. This church was built by voluntary donations from poor people.
There were always poor people around and yet we admire structures like St Peter basilica etc.
Private residences, palaces were indeed build to impress other monarchs.
But we usually don't know the names of the people who are behind building of temples. It is rather done for the love of God. It is a slightly different motivation.
I suppose you strongly oppose building mosques in Europe as well?
Kind regards,
M